Friday, February 24, 2012

February 24, 2012 … Anointing the Priesthood

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Numbers, Chapters 3-4 … To study these chapters, go to this link -

Numbers 3: 5-10; … 10 [bold/underlined] : … [God Calls His Priesthood] … 5 The Lord said to Moses,6 "Bring the tribe of Levi and present them to Aaron the priest to assist him.7 They are to perform duties for him and for the whole community at the tent of meeting by doing the work of the tabernacle.8 They are to take care of all the furnishings of the tent of meeting, fulfilling the obligations of the Israelites by doing the work of the tabernacle.9 Give the Levites to Aaron and his sons; they are the Israelites who are to be given wholly to him. 10 Appoint Aaron and his sons to serve as priests; anyone else who approaches the sanctuary is to be put to death."

My Journal for Today: There is a simple, but powerful, premise which should never be ignored when studying God’s word; and that is the redundancy principle. Quite simply, when God repeats something, especially in the detail we see in Numbers, Chapter 3, concerning the establishment of God’s Priesthood, we should take notice and see if/where the passage applies in our own lives.

Earlier this month in these blogs (specifically on Feb. 15, 2012), I was studying this same scenario in Leviticus, Chapter 8, where God set aside the tribe of Levi, the Levites, as His servant Priests, with Aaron and his sons becoming the High Priests. You can go to this link to study that journal entry if you like. I’ll not go into the great descriptive detail here about this matter. But in that 2/15 blog, I showed the Old – to – New Covenant comparisons with God’s anointing ALL BELIEVERS as a Royal Priesthood after the shedding of the blood of the Lamb of God (see 1st Peter 2: 5, 9).

Yes, now we, who know we’re born again believers in Christ as our Messiah, Lord, and Savior, are now the anointed priesthood for God’s people; and this role in the Tabernacle (i.e, in Christ) is to be taken VERY SERIOUSLY. You can go back and read what I wrote about concerning these matters in the earlier 2/15 blog [using the link above]; but I will just say here that God has made a serious point about His Priesthood by repeating the description of the establishment and appointed roles of God’s priests to be His servants and witnesses in the Tabernacle; and this means – at least to this humble student of God’s word – that I’m to take my role in the a royal Priesthood very seriously, … being God’s representative to believers and the people’s representative to God when they need His service. I am now grafted into the role of Levite in the New Covenant; and if you’re a Christian, so have you.

I hope all who read here with me are reading and meditating on this subject with the seriousness of implication which these passages have for us as Christians. As God’s Priest, what am I going to do TODAY to serve Him as He tabernacles in my heart?

My Prayer Today: … Lord, I am one of Your Priesthood; and may I take this role seriously as I am being trained to serve You as a witness to Your children. Amen

No comments: