Sunday, February 05, 2012

February 5, 2012 … Handling the Load

Passage of the Day [Yesterday]: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study for Feb. 4: Exodus, Chapters 18 … To study this chapter, go to this link -
---------
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study for Feb. 5: Exodus, Chapters 19-21 … To study these chapters, go to this link -

Exodus 18: 13-23 … : … [Taking Good Advice] ... 13 The next day Moses took his seat to serve as judge for the people, and they stood around him from morning till evening. 14 When his father-in-law saw all that Moses was doing for the people, he said, “What is this you are doing for the people? Why do you alone sit as judge, while all these people stand around you from morning till evening?”
15 Moses answered him, “Because the people come to me to seek God’s will. 16 Whenever they have a dispute, it is brought to me, and I decide between the parties and inform them of God’s decrees and instructions.”
17 Moses’ father-in-law replied, “What you are doing is not good. 18 You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone. 19 Listen now to me and I will give you some advice, and may God be with you. You must be the people’s representative before God and bring their disputes to him. 20 Teach them his decrees and instructions, and show them the way they are to live and how they are to behave. 21 But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. 22 Have them serve as judges for the people at all times, but have them bring every difficult case to you; the simple cases they can decide themselves. That will make your load lighter, because they will share it with you. 23 If you do this and God so commands, you will be able to stand the strain, and all these people will go home satisfied.”


My Journal for Today: Well, today, I read through the Chapters (i.e., 19-21) of Exodus, as instructed and planned for me in the Chronological Reading Plan from the Bible reading website, YouVersion.com; and there is so much meat from which I could journal my comments this morning. There is the story of Moses going up Mount Sinai and God reinstating His Covenant with Moses in Chapter 19. Of course, there is the rather meaty chapter in Exodus 20 about none-other-than the Ten Commandments; … as well as God’s instructions on the proper use of altar worship, all of which one could comment for days. Then there are the instructions God gave through Moses in Chapter 21 about the laws given to the people to allow them to be obedient to God’s purposes and His will for their lives, including none other than the “eye-for-an-eye” principle. You’d think I could find something from these chapters on which I could journal; wouldn’t you?

But yesterday, as I was closing out my journaling from Exodus 16-18, in the verses copied above from 13-23, something caught my teacher’s eye, which I felt compelled to comment on here today. So, I hope any reader following along with the Chronological reading plan, after reading through all the meat of Chapters 19-21, will allow me the latitude of going back and commenting on the passage God seems to not let me leave without blogging from yesterday (i.e., the meaty passage copied above).

That passage above is the story of Moses getting some advice from his father-in-law, Jethro, the Midianite shepherd, about how Moses was using his time and delegating leadership in his role as Shepherd for God’s people. Have you ever felt like you just had too much going on in your life? Maybe you felt like you were strung out in the various roles you are required to hold down. These days many of us have a lot of roles for which we must be “the master.” I’m a retiree; and you would think that would allow me a lot of latitude for “time management.” And I do have a lot control over my time choices. But in my life, I’m a husband, a father, a grandfather, a church elder, an adult teacher in my church, the founder/leader of a discipleship ministry, and the not-so-small matter of being a disciple of Jesus Christ in a world that is becoming ever more burdensome because of the evil demands it places on any follower of Christ.

Therefore, that is why the passage from yesterday’s reading plan rang so clear and true for me and has led me to return for comment here today. I just don’t want to miss the chance to document how strongly Jethro’s advice for Moses means to someone, like me, who can very easily take on too much and try to do too much for too many people in my life. I’m one who finds it very difficult to say “NO” to people and the demands from the world. Maybe you’re one of those “people-pleasers” like me. Well, if so, we could all take to heart how Jethro was trying to help Moses.

My friends, if you’re one, like me, who has to wear a lot of hats, masks, and robes, we simply must learn to decide what’s most important and to find others in our lives, who can help shoulder the load with us. Jesus knew this principle; and He was (and is) God! He knew that the responsibilities of the Savior-of-mankind were going to have to be shared by others; so he found a few others and then charged the rest to all of His Church (i.e., His Bride) to carry His load to the world [that of course, is the Great Commission]. And if that advice was good enough for Moses and for Jesus, don’t you think it’s good enough for you and me?

So, I hope you take in – as I have – the advice of Jethro to Moses, and from Jesus in His life example, and find others to help us carry the burdens which God has given us to carry. Think about it, when someone comes to you and says, “I really need some help with this task; and I know you could help me out with your abilities;” how does that make you feel? You’d feel complimented and would want to help, wouldn’t you? Now, of course, you’d have to prioritize that demand with the challenges and roles in your life. However, if you had the time and could help your friend who’d asked you to share some of his burdens, you’d do it, wouldn’t you?

And so, I hope we’ll all take Jethro’s advice to heart to seek out and get the help of others when we’re feeling burdened by the demand of our lives.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, thank you for those in my life who help me carry the burdens You’ve given me to carry. Amen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A good word, indeed. Although I'm a few days behind, YouVersion.com has been a real blessing to me. I've been more steady in feeding on God's Word daily than at any other time in my life.. and God's planting seeds with the consumption of the Word.. I just know that it's not going to return void in my life..

Bill said...

KOKO in the reading plan, my brother ... not my Blogger's comment at the end of my blog for today - very similar to your report the comment yesterday ... Bill