Tuesday, February 28, 2012

February 28, 2012 … What I Really Need Is …

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Numbers, Chapters 11-13 … To study these chapters, go to this link -

Numbers 11: 1-6: … [Grumbling and Complaining] … 1 Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. 2 When the people cried out to Moses, he prayed to the LORD and the fire died down. 3 So that place was called Taberah, because fire from the LORD had burned among them.
4 The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! 5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. 6 But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”


My Journal for Today: Wow! Today, when I went mining into God’s word for His wisdom (as Job described in Chapter 28 of his book) I found some real valuable jewels, rich stories on which I could blog. There is the powerful story of Moses’ siblings confronting him about his choice of a wife in Chapter 12; and then there was the wonderful story of the spies going out into the promised-land and bringing back their findings to Moses. Both of these stories have rich applications for us as believers and followers of God. However, when I first read through Chapter 11 of Numbers, right at the outset, there was the account of the people becoming grumblers. So, I’ve copied the beginning of that story above in Numbers 11: 1-6 for your consideration and my comments below.

Oh, dealing with God’s children must’ve been so, so frustrating for Moses, him being their Prophet, shepherd, and leader. Of course, Moses had the advantage of being in daily and direct communication with God there in the Tabernacle. BUT … those people had seen – and should’ve remembered – lesson after lesson of God’s mercy and grace and loving power. There was the miraculous deliverance from Egypt. There was the transmission of God’s will through His law. And there was God’s provision of manna for the people in their privation as they traversed through the wilderness toward God’s promised-land.

BUT … in spite of all that God had done, the people just didn’t get it, did they? God meets their needs; and what do they want? … Yeah, … more … much more! And even when God gives them more, as you can read in Chapter 11 of Numbers, what do they want [?]; … yeah, … even more. Does that remind you of anyone?

[A Prayer Pause] … Ok, Lord, I get it! You’re putting up a mirror of truth from Your word so that I will see that I’m no different than these grumbling Israelites. >>> I get it, Lord!! …

I seem to always ignore the truth of God’s clear word in my New Covenant Testament. For example, I read His clear promises in Romans 8: 28 and 2nd Peter 1: 3 and Phil. 4: 19; and yet I keep desiring more to satisfy my grumbling heart.

And my God keeps meeting my needs … every day and in every way. Oh, … I’m so weak of faith; and yes, I know – and believe – the truth of 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 … that my God’s grace is sufficient to shore me up in my times of self-pity and weakness. Yet, I still complain at times.

I don’t know about you; but I am so like those grumbling Israelites. And the promised land is out there, … just waiting for me … as I traverse through this wilderness of life to get there. Oh, how I need to heed the words and truth of Paul, when he wrote - with so much love – to the Philippians (in Phil. 3: 13-14), "… Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

If I can just look into the mirror of truth which God is putting up in front of my life every day … today … and remember what I know in my head, … exercising the faith that comes from believing it, … I will grumble less and follow more from faith. I need to pray as did the daddy in Luke 9: 24“I do believe [Lord]; help me overcome my unbelief!”

My Prayer Today: … Yes, Lord, that is my prayer today … that I follow You …in faith … without grumbling, taking my concerns directly to You and knowing that You ALWAYS give me what I need … in spite of what I want. I do believe You, Lord; … help me in my unbelief! Amen

No comments: