Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15, 2013 … Obedience vs Ability in Battle

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 15

Passage of the Day: 1st Chronicles 14: 14a; 15 …  
13 But after a while, the Philistines returned and raided the valley again. 14 And once again David asked God what to do. “Do not attack them straight on,” God replied. “Instead, circle around behind them and attack them near the balsam trees. 15 When you hear a sound like marching feet in the tops of the balsam trees, attack! That will be the signal that God is moving ahead of you to strike down the Philistines.” 16 So David did what God commanded, and he struck down the Philistine army all the way from Gibeon to Gezer. 
============

Contextual Reference Passage: … To study today’s highlight passage in context, go to 1st Chronicles, Chapter 14by using this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Proverbs 3: 5-6 : [NLT] … {Again, I say … I hope you know this one by now; but if not, please find, read, and meditate again on the deeper meaning of this passage for our lives, especially for our decision-making abilities.} … 

My Journal for Today: We’re in a spiritual war every-day! Can I get an AMEN to that statement? …

Well, if that’s reality, isn’t also true that we need to be vigilant and make prudent decisions in the throws of daily battles with our spiritual enemies – Satan, the world, and our own flesh? So, where do we get our marching orders? Well, King David gives us the answer to that one as a living example of an experienced warrior doing battles with his enemies in those days. David was a talented and war-proven leader in battle; and when confronted with the specific task of coming against his ever-present enemies, the Philistines, David could have depended upon his experience and his own talents/abilities as a leader in battle. BUT (big “but”), as we can see in the passage from 1st Chron. 14, copied above (especially the underlined text), David went FIRST to God for his marching orders, not relying on his own talents and abilities to carry the day in battle.

How often do we confront a worldly or fleshly battle in life and we default to our own abilities or past experiences to lead us in our decision-making? Well, TOO OFTEN, at least for this old soldier, I default to try things MY WAY first. Well, David had learned the essence and internalized truth of what his own son would later pen into God’s truth, which we find in Proverbs 3: 5-6, which, as I wrote yesterday in my blog and today again, I really hope you know by heart – and then do all we can to live it!

And to summarize the comparison of doing battle MY WAY or GOD’s WAY, let me link you to two wonderful songs, sung by two great singers; and when you hear them, I think you’ll get the truth of what today’s passage is teaching us …
First – the signature song for Frank Sinatra … link to MY WAY -
Compared to – link to TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS … sung by Michael W Smith

I think the choice is clear, don’t you?

My Prayer for Today Lord, help me – lead me – pursue me … to keep my eyes on YOUR WAY and avoid doing battle MY WAY. … Amen

No comments: