Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013 … Do it right!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 21

Passage of the Day: Proverbs 22: 29 [NLT] …  
29 Do you see any truly competent workers? They will serve kings rather than ordinary people. 
============

Reference Passage #1: Exodus 31: 1-5 : [NLT] … {When God sets forth a task – from His will – He provides the workers with the skills they need to complete the task. } …  
1 The LORD also said to Moses, 2 “Look, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, grandson of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. 3 I have filled him with the Spirit of God, giving him great wisdom, intelligence, and skill in all kinds of crafts. 4 He is able to create beautiful objects from gold, silver, and bronze. 5 He is skilled in cutting and setting gemstones and in carving wood. Yes, he is a master at every craft! 

Reference Passage #2: Colossians 3: 22-25 : [NLT] … { If we do it, do it for The Lord; and do right! } … 
 23 Work hard and cheerfully at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. 24 Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and the Master you are serving is Christ. 25 But if you do what is wrong, you will be paid back for the wrong you have done. For God has no favorites who can get away with evil. 

Reference Passage #3: 2nd Peter 1: 3-4 : [NLT] … { He gives us all we need to do His will. } … 3 3 As we know Jesus better, his divine power gives us everything we need for living a godly life. He has called us to receive his own glory and goodness!  4 And by that same mighty power, he has given us all of his rich and wonderful promises. He has promised that you will escape the decadence all around you caused by evil desires and that you will share in his divine nature. 

My Journal for Today: Os Hillman, in today’s workplace ministry devotional, brings out a principle unto which Christians all too often fall short; and that is doing what we’re called to do – for The Lord – with excellence. And today’s key verse, from Proverbs 22: 29, points to a truth which will take in every Christian. We are workers, working for THE KING; and being called to work for HIM and in His Name, we will be given whatever skill we need and all that we need to accomplish His will or purpose for our lives. Perhaps you recall, as I did this morning, the truth espoused by Peter in 2nd Peter 1: 3-4, which is copied for your review above.

And just recently [see my blog at this link – for Jan. 16] I entered a blog about how “God’s calling is His enablement,” where I reviewed the truth that God would never call us to do something within His will without providing the enabling/empowering grace to accomplish that task or purpose. So, whatever I’m doing – as I am studying His word to know Him more deeply at this moment, which I believe is God’s will for me in this personal pursuit – I should be doing all I can to complete the task with excellence and for His glory. Oh, how I pray that this is the case this morning!

Really … I don’t need to say any more, do I? And I will pray that what I’m studying in these few moments this morning is … #1 following His will and … #2 being accomplished with all the excellence I can muster to … #3 give my Lord all the glory I can in completing this task. And I pray for you to go to work today, joining me, to pursue our Lord’s will, doing all we can to let others see Christ shining His light through our work in His Name (see Matt. 5: 16).

My Prayer for Today Lord, as I do what You call me to do, may I do it all for Your glory! … Amen

No comments: