Sunday, January 20, 2013

January 20, 2013 … You Gotta Want It !!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 20

Passage of the Day: 2nd Kings 2: 9-20 [NLT] …
 9 When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, “What can I do for you before I am taken away?” And Elisha replied, “Please let me become your rightful successor.” 10 “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah replied. “If you see me when I am taken from you, then you will get your request. But if not, then you won’t.” 

Passage of the Day: 2nd Kings 2: 9-10 [NKJV] …
9 And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, “Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?” Elisha said, “Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.” 10 So he said, “You have asked a hard thing. Nevertheless, if you see me when I am taken from you, it shall be so for you; but if not, it shall not be so.”
============
Contextual Study of today’s passage: 2nd Kings, Chapter 2 [NLT] … Go to this link …  ============

Reference Passage #1: Psalm 42: 1 : [NLT] … {Do we thirst after God as if we were dying for Him?} … As the deer pants for the water brooks, … so pants my soul for You, O God. 

Reference Passage #2: Jeremiah 29: 13 : [NLT] … {When we seek the Lord He will be found. That’s His promise, now mine!} … If you look for Me wholeheartedly, you will find Me. 

My Journal for Today: If you’ve been following my journal entries for any time, you will know that I often quote Jesus’ definition of discipleship from Luke 9: 23. It was our Lord’s three requirements for anyone who would come after Him; … that they would #1 deny themselves, # 2 to take up whatever circumstances come their way daily, and # 3 follow Him. And when you analyze these discipleship requirements, being a disciple of The Christ (i.e., a totally surrendered follower of Jesus) was [and now IS] really, REALLY tough business. And if we say that we’re “DISCIPLES” of Christ, we’ve got to really want Him to be able to deny self, take up His cross daily, and follow Him.

When you read the target passage for today’s devotional above from 2nd Kings, Chapter 2, it’s obvious that Elisha really wanted to be a disciple of Elijah. In fact, he not only sought the same anointing which he had seen Elijah had received from God, but Elisha wanted a double portion of the same [see the highlighted portion copied above in two versions of Scripture]. But Elijah, who was becoming Elisha’s mentor, warned the younger disciple, who was seeking this anointing and this charge from God, to beware of that trek being a very challenging pursuit. But Elisha was like the deer, panting for the water, in Psalm 42: 1; and he was willing to do whatever God charged through the Prophet in Jeremiah 29: 13, seeking WHOLEHEARTEDLY after God’s anointing.

I often hear those who would call themselves “Christian,” reporting that they would call themselves “disciples” of Christ; but are they just wanting to be identified as “Christian” … or possibly to be members of that cultural group … or maybe a member of a certain “church?” Are they really DISCIPLES as Jesus defined His followers? AND, … are they really wanting the anointing which comes from pursuing Christ and all He is; … or do they just want to be labeled with the moniker, “CHRISTIAN?”

That’s a good self-inventory for the day, isn’t it? As “Christians,” i.e., as “DISCIPLES” of the Living Lord, do we really seek after His anointing as the deer pants for the water? How badly do we really want what God has for us as seekers after Him? My friend, as CHRISTIANS, we gotta really want it!

My Prayer for Today ,,, Lord, You know my heart; and You know how badly I want to Know You … to love You … to obey You … to serve You … and to be blessed by You! Lord, help me to overcome my unbelief. … Amen

No comments: