Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 29, 2013 … Being “IN THE ZONE!”

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 29

Passage of the Day: Joshua 1: 7-8 [in the context of verses 6-9] [NLT] …  
6 “Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. 9 I command you—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” 
 ============

Contextual Study of today’s passage: Joshua 1: 1-9 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Proverbs 3: 5-6 : [NLT] … {Yes, … AGAIN! … I repeat this bit of truth and wisdom from God’s word } …  
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6 Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.. 

My Journal for Today: As my devotional editor, Os Hillman, pointed out this morning, any high level athlete knows what it’s like to be “IN THE ZONE,” which is an area of performance – for a period of time - where everything seems to slow down, … where performance, no matter what the sport, is maximized, … and where observers are amazed at one’s abilities.

Well, if you’re reading along with me, perhaps you’re not a high-performance athlete; and maybe you’ve never been IN THE ZONE in tennis, basketball, or some other sport. But if you’re a Christian, you can move IN THE ZONE with God. And that degree of Godly performance was what God was pointing Joshua towards in the Bible passage my devotional used to illustrate God’s truth today.

Joshua, of course, was in a downer place in the context of Joshua, Chapter 1, verses 1-9. Moses had just died; and God was charging Joshua to take His people across the Jordan River into the promised-land; and it was a scary prospect for Joshua. But God, in this passage, not only gives Joshua a Spirit-level pep talk. He also gives him the way for Joshua (or any believer) to be IN THE ZONE from God’s perspective.  

OBEDIENCE (i.e., seeking God’s way and His will from His word) is being IN THE ZONE with/for God. As God laid it out for Joshua in today’s passage; and Solomon did for God’s people in Proverbs 3: 5-6, if we want to experience God’s performance ZONE, we will only get there and perform there when we’re in the “sweet spot” of God’s truth, trusting Him completely from His word. And God’s prescription for us to be there – IN HIS ZONE – is found in today’s highlight passage of Scripture.

Only when we choose to go in, be in, and stay in God’s zone of truth – i.e., His word – can we ever expect to be successful and prosperous – i.e., IN THE ZONE – with regard to God’s will. But when we do, and we live out our lives in the center of God’s will, found clearly in His word, we will find ourselves moving and working IN THE ZONE, i.e., … God’s zone of maximal, Spirit-driven, performance.

That’s why, BTW, I’m right here where I am right now, my follower! That’s why EVERY MORNING, you can find me delving into God’s word and doing all I can to drive God’s truth into my mind/heart. I want to be IN GOD’S ZONE; and He’s clear on how I’m to get there and stay there … and that is to be in His word daily and to follow it … i.e., just as Christ commanded His followers (yes, again I lead you to Luke 9: 23). For only when we diligently pursue our Lord, in obedience from His word, can we expect to be IN THE ZONE for God’s glory.

My Prayer for Today Lord, take me from Your word to Your will and allow me to work IN THE ZONE for You this day. … Amen

No comments: