Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April 10, 2013 … Success = Yielding to God’s Planning

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 100

 Passage of the Day: Jeremiah 10: 23 [NLT] …  
23 I know, LORD, that a person’s life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course.
============
Contextural Study of today’s passage: Jeremiah, Chapter 10 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Proverbs 16: 9; 19: 21; 20: 24 : [Following God’s will – the only way to real success.] …[NLT] …  
16: 9 We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps. …
19: 21 You can make many plans, but the LORD’s purpose will prevail. … 
20: 24 How can we understand the road we travel? It is the LORD who directs our steps.

My Journal for Today: Over the years in my Christian discipleship, I’ve discovered a couple of good rules by which to live. One is that when several Bible authors say the same thing or when one author says the same thing over and over again, it’s time to pay attention; because God is using a megaphone to get His point across. And the truth Os Hillman is trumpeting in today’s devotional is one of those.

So, PAY ATTENTION, my friend, to God’s truth as it was touted by the Prophet, Jeremiah [see today’s highlight verse], … that real success will only come when our plans are in accord with God’s will. And I can read your thoughts, fellow Christian. You’re thinking, “I knew that!” And I think few Christians, with any brains or from experience in their walk with Christ, would disagree with that, especially when Solomon, God’s man of wisdom, tooted that horn over and over again (see the three quoted verses above).

So, why then do we repeatedly fail to get God’s confirmation and seek His will before and/or while we’re doing our plans for living? It’s because of who we are; and our sin-ridden spiritual DNA leads us to want to have our own selfish control over our plans. And therefore, so often, being led by a deceitful heart (see also Jer. 17: 9, we default back to our own selfish ways instead of doing what Jesus commanded in Luke 9: 23 to deny our self and follow Him.

Are you feeling as convicted as I am right now? Oh so often I plow ahead – on my own – doing MY planning, even worrying about the outcomes, and I ignore the wonderful – God-given – advice of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4: 6-7 [linked here] to avoid worry and to pray for God to give me HIS peace about some direction I might seek to walk on my own. Because if I come to my Lord, with a heart of thanksgiving, humbly asking for His confirmation for some plan I might have, if He gives me His peace about that direction, I know it’s in His will. If, however, in using this seeking posture, I don’t get His peace, I know I should either wait or abort the planned course of action.

This latter strategy has never failed me, i.e., when I’ve taken the time to seek God’s will and His way, especially using His word in the seeking process. Because when I know that I know that I KNOW God’s will when I’m forging ahead, I can do so, knowing that He is leading me and any outcome will be for HIS glory.

So, my fellow Christian, let’s plan to seek God’s plan today; … how about it?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, show me THE way – YOUR way; and I will follow. … Amen

No comments: