Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 13, 2013 … Reborn for His Workmanship

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 103

Passage of the Day: John 17: 4 [From Jesus’ high-priestly prayer to His Heavenly Father.] [NLT] … 4 I brought glory to You here on earth by doing everything You told me to do.  
============
Contextual Study of today’s passage: John , Chapter 17 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Ephesians 2: 8-10 : [Saved to be His workmanship. ] …[NLT] …  
8 God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.

My Journal for Today: Have you answered the “Why am I here?” question about your life? It’s sort of an important one, don’t you think? And so, … if you haven’t answered that biggie for yourself, read on a bit further and I’m going to give you God’s answer to that life-driving question.

When Jesus was here with us on earth, He had a purpose; and that was to glorify His Heavenly Father with what He did; … and He did just that! And we see that when we read His prayer to the Father just before He did exactly what He came to earth to do [see John 17, linked above] – and that was to die on that cross so that you and I could be saved. That was Jesus’ earthy task; and I’d say He did a pretty good job of it, wouldn’t you?

And really finding and carrying out our earthy task is what we’re all about, too. And so … all of whom we are and all of what we do should be to the glory of God. We are God’s workmanship; and whatever we’re called to do, we should be doing it for His glory.

Really, it’s all summarized in the memory verse which was called up into my consciousness this morning as I read this morning’s Os Hillman devotional. You may have this section of Paul’s writings memorized as well; [see Ephesians 2: 8-10 above] and I hope you do because it summarizes the essence of our Christian life. We were saved BY God’s grace THROUGH our faith in His finished work on the cross UNTO the good works He has purposed for our lives. And there you have it … the Christian life in one sentence.

We were created to be GOD”S WORKMANSHIP? So, … are we? That is, are we doing what we do for the glory of our Lord? Are we doing what God called us to do? And if we are, do we see ourselves as doing HIS work … for HIM?

 I can’t answer those tough questions for you; but I can – and I must – answer them for myself; and today is a poignant day for me to answer them; because 30 years ago, on this date, April 13, 1983, I humbled myself to be able – in faith – to receive God’s saving grace. Yes, today is my re-birthday in Christ; and though it took a few years of discipleship and growth in my relationship with Christ after my rebirth, I finally responded to God’s calling and found my place in His work force, … doing His will, His way, for His glory.

I don’t know if you’re in a place where you can claim and hold on to the latter purpose … i.e., that place of becoming and being HIS workmanship. I will pray this morning that you have; because when we are working in the center of His will, … doing HIS work, … for HIS glory, there is no greater place to be in this life.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I pray that all who read my thoughts here today have found that place where they can use Your Spirit-imparted gifts, working and doing all they can for Your glory. … Amen

No comments: