Monday, April 08, 2013

April 8, 2013 … Pulling Us Out of the Pit

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 98

Passage of the Day: Proverbs 17: 17 [NLT] …  
17 A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. 
============

Another Passage for today: Proverbs 13: 12 [NLT] …  
12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when dreams come true, there is life and joy. 
============

 Reference Passage #1: 2nd Corinthians 12: 8-9 [Up close and personal when we’re in “the pit” of discouragement.] [NLT] …  
8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9 Each time He said, “My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me.

My Journal for Today: Have you ever been in “the pit,” as Os Hillman calls a time of personal despair or discouragement so low that one simply can’t crawl out alone? Well, I have; and for sure, it’s “the pits!!” Life just sucks at times, doesn’t it; and it’s in times like these that we need what Prov. 17: 17 describes as a true friend; and that is someone who will be there for us, … no matter how low or ugly things are in our lives.

Do you have a Prov. 17: 17 friend? I hope you do. Os Hillman describes such a friend for him when Hillman got down in “the pit” and needed someone to call; … and his friend came over to pray with him … even though Os didn’t feel like praying. … And Hillman’s friend also shared God’s word with Os, … Scripture which God gave the friend as he was praying for Os. And Hillman reports that God used this friend to lift him out of “the pit” into which Hillman had fallen.

Ever had a time like this, … a time when Satan, or your own selfish heart, had led you down into “the pit;” and your despair and/or discouragement was just too overwhelming to pull yourself out of that dark, deep place yourself? That’s the place of heart-sickness described by God’s word in Proverbs 13: 12a highlighted above. And if you were down in that “pit” of despair, do you have a real Prov. 17: 17 friend to call on to help pull you up and out of “the pit?”

I pray you do; because if you haven’t been down in “the pit,” … one day you’ll be there; and you’re going to need someone to pull you out. The Apostle Paul got down in one of those pits, which he describes in 2nd Cor. 12: 7-10; and it was his relationship with The Ultimate Friend, Jesus, who pulled him out of his “pit” of physical and emotional despair. That’s why 2nd Cor 12: 9 is one of my most powerful and personal memory verses, … one which has helped pull me out of many pits of discouragement, doubt, and despair in my past.

I do hope that you have an up-close-and-personal HUMAN friend to call on when your down in “the pits” of life; … but if you don’t have such a person – or maybe a small group of friends – Jesus can … AND WILL … be that Friend for you; and His enabling and empowering grace is enough to pull you out of any pit you’re in, dear friend. And I’ll tell you right now … if you ever get down in some pit where you just feel too alone and need a friend to help pull you out, I’m leaving my USA cell # right here [901-921-2148] … and I’ll be that friend who will pray for you and remind you of the truth of THE FRIEND of all friends, … my Friend, Jesus, Who right now is actually praying for you … and especially anytime you get down in “the pit.”

My Prayer for Today … Dear Jesus, my Friend, … thanks for always being there to pull me out of the pits. … Amen

No comments: