Sunday, August 11, 2013

August 11, 2013 … Reflecting God’s Glory

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 223

  Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Today in my devotional journal entry, please take the time to watch/listen to a powerful song sung by Chris Tomlin, “How Great Is Our God”, reminding us that God’s greatness declares itself in creation and in how He relates with us in this life.

 Highlight Study passage found in Psalm 145: 11-12 [NLT]  
11 They will talk together about the glory of your kingdom; they will celebrate examples of your power. 12 They will tell about your mighty deeds and about the majesty and glory of your reign. 
===============
Contextual reading study of Psalm 145: Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Matthew 5: 14-16 [Our lives reflect God’s glory or Satan’s deception.] … [NLT] …  
14 “You are the light of the world — like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

 Reference Passage #2: Acts 1: 8 [We are God’s witness in the world.] … [NLT] …
8 But when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

 Reference Passage #3: 1st Corinthians 2: 4-5 [In the context of verses 1-5] … [NLT] …  
1 Dear brothers and sisters, when I first came to you I didn’t use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God’s message. 2 For I decided to concentrate only on Jesus Christ and his death on the cross. 3 I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. I did not use wise and persuasive speeches, but the Holy Spirit was powerful among you. 5 I did this so that you might trust the power of God rather than human wisdom.

My Journal for Today: God’s desire – post New Covenant – is really quite simple and powerful. And it was even prophesied by King David in the Old Testament (see above in Psalm 145: 11-12) … that mankind – all mankind – would faithfully declare God’s glory. And Jesus, … the Light of the World, when He came to us in His incarnation, declared before/after His resurrection that we Christians, … i.e., His disciples, … should reflect His glory (i.e., His Light) through the way we live our lives. And the later Apostle, Paul, [see 1st Cor. 2 copied above] picked up on this when he wrote to the Corinthians (and all Christians) that his preaching was simply – and clearly - to reflect the power of God to all who would see/hear of His glory.

So, what does God intend for us to be? And I think, from God’s word and the song to which I’ve linked you to above, we should understand that we become reflections of God’s glory for all to see WHEN and IF we live, move, and have our being reflecting the Light of the world. And as we reflect His glory, by doing all we can to live in Christ’s likeness, others will see His glory as we wear His robes of righteousness rather than as we display our own rags of sin.

POP QUIZ: … let me reflect here the questions asked by Os Hillman in his devotional entry for today. • ” If you do not see His glory being reflected through your life, then you need to ask why. He has promised to do so if we will walk in obedience to His commands.”

Personally, there are times when I do shine Christ’s light through my life; but those times are fewer than I – and most certainly my Savior – would like. I’m praying today that I can reflect His Light through all I think, say, and do. …

 How about you?!

My Prayer for Today … Lord, as I so often pray, … shine Your light so brightly on my path today that I can’t help but see the way to reflect Your glory for others to see. … Amen

No comments: