Friday, August 02, 2013

August 2, 2013 … Choosing Surrender? Really?!!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 214

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Again today, like yesterday, please use this link and hear a challenging song performed by Faith Hill, singing “I Surrender All”, exhorting Christians to choose to do what is probably the hardest choice we’ll ever has a disciples of Christ.

Highlight Passage of the Day: Job 23: 10 [Surrender all? Really?!! … That’s hard !!!] … [NLT] …  
10 But He [i.e., God] knows where I am going. And when He has tested me like gold in a fire, He will pronounce me innocent.
=============
Contextual Study involving today’s passage found in Job, Chapter 23 Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage of the Day #1: 2nd Corinthians 4: 17 [Knowing what “surrender” means and choosing it are two very separate things.] … [NLT] …  
16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are quite small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see right now; rather, we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever.

Reference Passage of the Day #1: Romans 8 [Yes; but do we believe it?!!] … [NLT] … Go to this link

My Journal for Today: Surrender? … ALL? … Really?!! … Ugh; … that’s hard!

If you’ve been following my daily journal entries these past days, a recurring theme seems to be Os Hillman’s editorial choice; and yes, it’s SURRENDER. And today Hillman, and I, following his shepherding, refer to Job, who, in Chapter 23 of his book [linked above] and responding to the last of his four critics, declares that he’s innocent and doesn’t deserve the pain/suffering which has been foisted upon him. And the tough thing is, … he’s right!

Ever made a choice to fully surrender to God’s way and what you perceived to be His will; and the world (or maybe Satan) seemed to dump on you? You know I’ll bet that we’ve all had Jobian-like moments in our life. And I also think about how Joseph, who was a good dude who had to endure harsh treatment from his family, slavery, and false imprisonment, … GIVING ALL and still remaining faithful in spite of all those trials. And Habakkuk, one of my favorite OT characters, had to learn – through seeing horrible stuff happen at the hands of God – how to hold on to joy in the midst of privation and troubles.

Yes, I get it; … or at least I think I do. And the image Job used in today’s verse is that word picture of how gold is only purified completely when it’s put under great heat. And I know that. BUT (big “but” again!), … knowing it and believing it … and then living it, are totally separate choices, aren’t they?

We may know – and even agree – with what Faith Hill so elegantly sings about in the song I’ve linked you too again today. We may understand and completely agree with what Paul wrote about in Chapter 8 of Romans (also linked for your meditation above). But living in those truths is a scary proposition, isn’t it? … Why, … because somehow we know, deep in our hearts, that surrendering ALL to Christ comes with the potential (if not the reality) of a great cost; and who wants to choose to give all to Christ when it might come with aggravation, at least, … and even death, at worst?

But then after we’ve really been showered with the wondrous truth of Romans 8; and we realize why God desires the purification which comes from surrendering all to Him, we can revel in the reality of what Paul also stated (see above) in 2nd Cor. 4: 17. Let me paraphrase it here for emphasis: Whatever we’re going through now, even if it’s painful, is NOTHING compared with the glory God has waiting for us when we choose to surrender our all for Him!!

 I really hope you’ve taken in Faith Hill’s beautiful song here again today; and even more, I pray that you’ve been rolling in the wondrous – TRUE – promises of Romans 8; because if we believe them, internalize them, and live in surrender to them, we’ll be able to live with the assurance that Christ gave to Paul when the Apostle was hurting so painfully in 2nd Corinthians 12: 9, when He said, " My grace is sufficient for you; for My strength is made perfect in your weakness.” 

Surrender all? … Yeah, … let’s do it!

My Prayer for Today … Okay, Lord; … I get it; and I want it; … so, I’ll surrender my all for Your grace. … Amen

No comments: