Sunday, November 29, 2015

November 29, 2015: Our Good Shepherd

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 332  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Marty Goetz singing the classic psalm… Psalm 23, which declares David’s faith in his God, Who would be his Good Shepherd … FOREVER.

 
Highlight Passage:   Psalm 40:17 [NKJV] …  
17 But I am poor and needy; … yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my delliverer; … do not delay, O my God. 
… David’s cry for help in time of despair.
============
Highlight Context – Psalm 40 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
… King David’s cry for help to his God in a very low time in his life.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Job 42: 1-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Job, after looking back on all he had been through and repenting for his lack of faith, he awaits God’s restoration.

Reference Passage #2 - Psalm 23: 4 [NKJV] … 
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; … Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 
… Again, the Apostle Paul, inspired by God, exhorting God’s family to examine ourselves to see if our faith is genuine.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David C McCasland, had a lesson into which we can all identify and should remember, … especially when we, as it says in the worlds of David in Psalm 23, are walking in the valley of the shadow of death (see attached photo). And to illustrate his teaching, the ODB author pointed to the life of C.S. Lewis, who, along with Lewis’ brother, always looked back on their times in boarding school, where they both experienced an abusive head master. And looking back on such a bleak time later in life, the reflection helped them see how faithful and merciful God had been in their life.

 That illustration caused me to reflect on the life of Corrie ten Boom, who had experienced horror and seen her sister die in the concentration camps of WW2; and she came to realize how her faith God had grown in her life after being in that valley. And we have the classic biblical tale of deprivation and redemption in the Job’s scriptural journal, where God allowed Job to walk through all that he went through to allow Job to ultimately look back and see God’s work of restoration in His life (see Job’s realization and repentance in Job 42: 1-6). And also there is the highlight passage, linked above, from Psalm 40 where David in a moment of terror, cries out in faith for his God to save him. 

We’ve likely all had our own “valley of the shadow of death” in our life, haven’t we? And I hope that you, as I can, see how the Good Shepherd was always there to bring us through, walking with us and leading us ultimately to His pasture in glory.

 Please take time to use the song link above and hear Mary Goetz sing the comforting and uplifting Paslm of David, which will help you see that our Lord is walking with us today … and always.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, dear Lord, … You have led me through the valley and You walk with me today … and tomorrow. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: