Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16, 2016: God’s Guiding Light

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 47  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Amy Grant leading worship and singing Thy Word Is a Lamp Unto My Feet… declaring the power of God’s word to guide our footsteps in life.

 
Highlight Passage:   Deuteronomy [NKJV] …
  6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 
…Yes, on our hearts!
============
Highlight Context – Deuteronomy 6:1-12 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
… God desires that we write His word into the depths of our heart and teach them to our children … and then live by the light provided by His truth.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Joshua 1: 8 [NKJV] …  
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. 
 … God gives Joshua the success formal in following His will.

Reference Passage #2 - Psalm 119: 9-11 and 105 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… He will show us the way … by having His word imprinted on our hearts …

Reference Passage #3 - John 14:21 [NKJV] …  
21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
 … Jesus provides the essence of His presence ... by knowing and living by His commands.    

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Lawrence Darmani, taught a truth that all Christians should take to heart; and it is God’s prescription for being successful in finding and following His will.

 Years ago, a mentor of mine, realized what a biblical illiterate I was; and he asked me if I desired to know and follow God’s will for my life. Of course, I replied affirmatively; and He showed me what Lawrence Darmani taught in today’s ODB entry … that God’s word, if imbedded deeply into our hearts, will allow us to see and follow God’s will for our lives.

 So, my mentor took me on an 18 month quest to memorize God’s word topically; and when I went through that process, using the Topical Memory System, available from NavPress (SEE THIS LINK), my life changed for the Godly good like no other discipline I had ever undertaken. But when you take in the Scriptures from God through Moses and Joshua and Jesus above, this should not be surprising.

 God promises that when we fill our hearts with His truth (i.e., the Bible), He will use it as a light to guide our path (see Ps. 119: 105); and beyond that, when we keep His word ever before us (see Joshua 1:8), God will use it to help us be successful in carrying out His will for our lives. And Jesus, Himself, promised to reveal Himself to anyone who knew and followed His commands [see John 14:21].

 So, it’s up to us, isn’t it. If we want to know His will and follow it, the prescription was laid out to His people (you and me) by Moses (see the Deuteronomy 6 passage above); and all we need to do is imbed His word so deeply in our hearts that we will be compelled to follow it all our lives.

 That’s why I’m here today; … and why I will be here tomorrow.

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … Shine a light brightly on my path, O Lord, from Your word. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: