Monday, February 22, 2016

February 22, 2016: In Quiet Surrender

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 53  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of the group Steven Curtis Chapman singing his song Be Still and Know… declaring the reality that our God is God; and we are not … that our God never never changes and we must always stand in awe of our Lord, … King Jesus!


Highlight Passage:  Psalm 46:10a [NKJV] …  
10 Be still and know that I am God, … 
… Surrendering to God as God . …
============
Highlight Context – Psalm 46 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God, through the Psalmist, commands are surrender to His majesty.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  
… Do we acknowledge that God is God and we are not? Only when we do, can He show us the way, … HIS WAY, … in life.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Phillip Yancey, reminds his readers of a very salient truth in this hustle-bustle, fast-paced world. He wrote: Years ago I responded to letters within a couple of weeks and kept my correspondents happy. Then came the fax machine, and they seemed content with receiving a response within a couple of days. Today, with email, instant messaging, and mobile phones, a response is expected the same day! 

Yancey reminded me of a day, 55+ years ago, when my wife and I, then courting, were at a distance, trying to keep our love vibrant; and we were forced to exchange “snailmail” messages about every 10 days. We exchanged long, lovely letters, which brimmed of our love. Today, we’d likely be texting back and forth and expecting responses immediately every time we texted (see attached photo).

 In today’s highlight and oft quoted passage from Psalm 46a, … “Be still and know that I am God, …” … God asserts the attitude we must have in coming before His glorious majesty … that of SURRENDER. And in today’s song link above, Steven Curtis Chapman sings of that attitude in his rendering of that Psalm. Take that exhortation from God in several different translations of Scripture ...

[NKJV, NIV, ESV, NASB] … “Be still, and know that I am God ” 
[TLB] … “Be silent! … Know that I am God!” 
[MSG] … “Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at Me, your High God, …”

That phrase “be still” in Hebrew is the term, “rapha,” which can be translated “go weak,” or “be in surrender”, or “let it go!” And in getting the true sense of God’s command, thru the Psalmist in Ps. 46a, I like The Message version, which says, “Step out of the traffic” to take a “long, loving look” at God.

And it’s true, isn’t it? … Today, in this information saturated, fast-paced world, we often find it difficult to do what God is exhorting us to do … to get alone and surrender our self to the Savior.

My friend, that’s why I’m here today and will be here tomorrow … to get alone … in solitude … and invest quiet-time, getting to know my Lord more intimately through prayer and His word. And it’s why I’m exhorting any who read with me here today to find a niche of your own quiet-time to be alone with God and acknowledge Him as LORD of our lives.

We need to let Him know that He is God and we are not!!!

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … I stand aside, my LORD, in surrender to Your majesty!! … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: