Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October 26, 2016: Glowing In The Dark

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 300  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from Jason Gray singing his song… Glow In The Dark … a song expressing the reality of Jesus’ charge that we, as His disciples, become shining lights of truth in a very dark - and ever darkening - world.


Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 5:14 [NKJV] …  
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp-stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. … “ 
… Jesus on His disciples becoming shining lights in a dark world.
============
Highlight Context: Matthew 5:1-16 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Jesus teaches/preaches God’s kingdom values to His followers in His Sermon on the Mount. 
===========

Reference Passage #1 … Acts 1:8 [NKJV] …  
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” 
… Jesus’s charge at His ascension for His disciples to be His light of witness to the world.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Dennis Fisher, tells a personal story about how a work group became a shining light for Christ in their work-a-day world. He wrote: Not long ago I went to a seamstress to have some clothing altered. As I entered her shop I was encouraged by what I saw on the walls. One sign read, “We can mend your clothes but only God can mend your heart.” Near it was a painting of Mary Magdalene weeping in anguish as the risen Christ was about to reveal Himself to her. Another sign asked, “Need prayer? Let us pray with you.” 

And when we, as Christians, creatively, yet assertively, are willing to put our faith out there in a dark - and every darkening - world, we become the lights Jesus taught about in His sermon on the mount [see today’s highlight passage]. And, as well, we fulfill one of His last commands to His disciples (that includes you an me!); and that is to be His shining witnesses in our world [see Acts 1:8]. 

Today’s ODB asks of me if I’m doing enough to shine the Light of Christ through my life and out into the darkening world around me. That’s my challenge; but it asks the same of all who read with me here today. So, … as Jason Gray sings in the linked song, are we glowing in the dark for Christ?

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Shine, Jesus, shine through my life. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: