Saturday, November 05, 2016

November 5, 2016: Sharing God’s Kindness

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 310  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …   Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Glen Campbell singing … Try A Little Kindness … joyfully singing that all of us, especially Christians, should be sharing God’s love and kindness with others - EVERY DAY!

 
Highlight Verse[s]: Philippians 2:3-4 [NKJV] …  
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 
… We Christians, trying to be worthy of our calling in Christ, must reach out to humbly help others. 
============
Highlight Context: Philippians 1:27-2:4 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Paul exhorting Christians (you and me!) to share the burdens and trials of others.
===========

Reference Passage #1 … John 13:34-35 [NKJV] …  
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
 … Jesus makes it very clear to His Disciples (and to you and me!) how we should love others, showing His love in a love starved world.

Reference Passage #2 … Romans 4:1-2 [NKJV] …  
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, …
… God, thru Paul, again, exhorts Christians to show their worthiness as Christians by showing love and helping others.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Amy Boucher Pye, in teaching about sharing God’s love uses a personal story for illustration. She writes: “Do you have a few items you’d like me to wash?” I asked a visitor to our home in London. His face lit up, and as his daughter walked by, he said, “Get your dirty clothes—Amy’s doing our laundry!” I smiled, realizing that my offer had been extended from a few items to a few loads. 
Later, as I hung clothes outside on the line, a phrase from my morning’s Bible reading floated through my mind: “In humility value others above yourselves” (Phil. 2:3). I had been reading Paul’s letter to the people of Philippi, in which he exhorts them to live worthy of Christ’s calling through serving and being united with others. 

Fellow Christian, have you ever been in a situation like this one where God tugs on your heart to share God’s love with someone who needs your help? Do I sense agreement here? … When the Apostle Paul was writing from prison to his Christian friends in Ephesus and Philippi, he exhorted them to do all they could to humbly share Christ’s love with others (see the passages from Philippians and Ephesians above). And Jesus made it crystal clear that His disciples (and I hope that’s all who read here), should show His love with others [see John 13:34-35].

And my challenge from today’s ODB entry is … HOW CAN I SHARE CHRIST’S LOVE WITH SOMEONE TODAY?

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Lord, help me to set aside self and serve Your love to someone today. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: