Saturday, February 11, 2017

February 11, 2017 ... To Know Him …

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 42 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from the group Hillsong singing their song … You’re Here With Me … powerfully and poignantly declaring our desire as Christians to know our Lord more and more intimately so that we more readily follow Him and become more like Him.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 139:3 [NLT] … 
3 You [GOD] see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. 
… Our God is omnipresent and omniscient and omnipotent.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 139:1-18 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… King David sings about the attributes of His glorious God as He gets to know Him more intimately.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Ephesians 4:1 [NLT] … 
1 Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. 
… As Paul got to know God, he became more and more enslaved to His King; and he desperately desired for his fellow Christians to be worthy of God’s calling on their lives as “Christians.”

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Colossians 1:9-10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul teaches Christians that our lives are transformed into Christlikeness the more we get to know our Lord.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … 1st John 4:6-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… John teaches Christians how they can know other Christians truly know God - by the love they show to others.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Bill Crowder, wrote about God being all seeing and all knowing from Psalm 139. The ODB author wrote: Psalm 139:1 and 3 speak of our all-knowing God’s all-encompassing, intimate understanding of us. David says, “You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. . . . You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.” How comforting to know God loves us perfectly, is fully aware of what we will face today, and He knows how best to help us in every circumstance of life. 

When I read and meditated on the ODB entry this day, my mind took me back to reality that a dear mentor helped me realize years ago which has become a guiding goal for me as a Christian now … and till I’m with Jesus in Heaven. My mentor once asked me if, as a disciple of Christ, I desired to be blessed by my God. Of course, I responded “YES!” What true Christian wouldn’t?

Well, then he asked me what my primary goal in life was as a Christian; and I thought I know the right answer, responding from the old Presbyterian catechism … “To glorify God and to enjoy fellowship with Him.” I was so proud of my knowing that; … but my mentor told me that if I desired to be blessed by God, my primary goal in this life should be to KNOW GOD more intimately … day-by-day.

And here’s the chain of truths he spoke into my life, … truths which I remember to this day and try to affirm them by the way I live. He told me - To know God is to love God ->  To love God is to obey God -> To obey God is to serve God -> And to serve God is to be blessed by God. 

So, my fellow Christian I’m praying that we all know God and get to know Him more intimately today than yesterday … and even more tomorrow than today.

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Help me to know You more deeply today than ever before; … and even more tomorrow! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: