Monday, January 09, 2012

January 9, 2012 … Frustrated … But Faithful

Passage of the Day: Chapter/Verse Reference: Job, Chapters 21-23 … To study these chapters, go to this link >>>
Study Passage: Job 21-23: [Comment: Today it’s difficult for this blogger to highlight any one passage for my journal comments. I’m afraid the reader will have to take in all three of my study chapters today to get a flavor of my journal entry today.]

My Journal for Today: In my reading through the Book of Job as part of my trek through the Bible chronologically this year, there continues to be this serial dialog between Job and his so-called “friends,” … the three who keep trying to convince Job that his condition and circumstances point to some hidden sin or pattern of disobedience of their God, Jehovah, Whom they all hold in reverence. But poor Job keeps holding to his position – partly held in confusion and frustration – that his friends don’t seem to get the truth that bad things happen to good people and good things (by man’s judgment) happen to bad people. And Job’s position is supported by his faith in and reverence for their God, Whom Job knows is always right and always in control.

And I don’t know about you; but I have a tendency to hold Job’s three “friends,” who’ve become his harshest critics, in some degree of malcontent, … feeling that they are just not seeing Job’s situation with any degree of empathy for their “friend.” They also just seem to be closed to the reality that God sees things – all things – with His infinite and all-controlling omniscience, which is a picture that no man can see clearly. And as I read this interaction between Job and the three, I think of the words of God’s clarity from Isaiah 55: 8-9, where God states to the Prophet, 8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. 9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.” And I can’t seem to hold back my judgment of Job’s friends as I think, “Why can’t you dudes see this truth!”

Job’s “WHY ME” search is certainly natural; and the misshaped criticisms of his critics in this portion of the Book of Job are really understandable as well. So, … I need to have a little more charity for Job’s three friends; because I, like them, have a tendency to judge the motives and ideas of others based upon what I see in their lives; and I often make judgments about people, thinking that I know and can see what God knows and sees. NOT!!! >>> These days we call it “profiling,” don’t we? And it’s just, flat WRONG!!!

Given Job’s circumstances, especially being the righteous man he was, why wouldn’t Job be asking God, “WHY?” And in anybody’s life, as we view others, maybe we all need to back off with our judgments and trust that God knows best and that He’s ALWAYS in control; … and, especially for born-again believers, God is always working things out for the good of His children. Isn’t that the message of truth in Romans 8: 28, … which is a passage with which I always seem to challenged by my weak faith.

Job was challenged too – to the “Nth” degree; but even though God was teaching Job a lesson in humility that our Lord obviously felt Job needed to learn, Job held on to His fear of the Lord and His reverence for God’s sovereignty in the midst of all of the circumstances which were so baffling to him. I would hope that we all can hold on to our faith as we face life’s most challenging trials, … letting God do His thing … ALWAYS for our good.

My Prayer Today: … Help me, Lord … to hold on to my faith in Your sovereign good. Amen

No comments: