Saturday, March 24, 2018

March 24, 2018 … Follow THE Leader

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 83 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Harley Yao singing a contemporary version of the old hymn … Trust and Obey … poignantly singing of the only way to find joy in the midst of trials … to trust our Lord and obey His will/ways.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2 Timothy 3:14 [NLT] … 14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 
… Following those who follow God’s truth (i.e., His word) will lead us in God’s direction/way. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2 Timothy 3:10-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul exhorted Timothy (and us) to follow the teachings he had learned from Paul and from God’s word.
=============

Reference Passage : …Psalm 119:105 [NLT] … 105  Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. 
… The Psalmist knew exactly which path to take in life … i.e., to follow the light of God’s word.

Reference Passage : …Isaiah 55:11 [NLT] … 11 It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. 
… Isaiah prophesied as to the power of God’s word to accomplish His purposes.

Reference Passage : … John 14:21 [NLT] … 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” 
 … If we follow His commands, we can lead others in His ways of love.

Reference Passage : … 1 Corinthians 11:1-2 [NLT] … 1 And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. 2 I am so glad that you always keep me in your thoughts, and that you are following the teachings I passed on to you. 
… Paul was confident that others could follow Him in the ways of the Lord because Paul was simply following the Lord.

Reference Passage : … 2nd Corinthians 12:9-10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ...
… Having faith that God’s grace is strong enough to carry us thru any pain or weakness. My 

Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David C McCasland, uses a personal illustration to teach on following leaders who really know what to do or where to go in life. … The ODB author wrote: My attempts at fixing things around the house usually lead to paying someone else to undo the damage I caused while trying to fix the original problem. But recently I successfully repaired a home appliance by watching a YouTube video where a person demonstrated step by step how to do it. 

This is a nice little example on the importance of having a reliable example (or mentor) to follow who really knows what to do or exactly where to go in life (see photo). The young Pastor, Timothy, had learned that following his Godly mentor, the Apostle Paul, was the way he could learn to lead others to follow Christ. And Paul even strongly and confidently exhorted Christians (see 1 Cor. 11:1-2) that they could follow his lead because he was closely following the lead of Christ.

I was blessed early in my new Christian walk to have a Godly mentor, who charged me to check EVERYTHING he said to me against God’s word and to follow him ONLY when he was following God’s truth (a very Berean way to live - see Acts 17:10-12).

So, anytime we are to follow a leader, or when we’re called to lead others, we must follow or lead as God’s truth leads us (see Reference Scriptures above). And when we do, … God will be leading us and we’ll know He is leading us back to Him (hear the linked song).

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for the light of your word to lead us. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Today as all days, I let the light of Your truth lead me. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: