Tuesday, September 01, 2009

2009 – Day 243.Sept 01 – A Lot of Grace

September, 2009 Topic: Job … Continued from Aug. 31, 2009

====================

Passage of the Day: Job 17 …
Linked for study …

My Journal for Today:
I agree whole heartedly with Chuck Swindoll today about why he says he loves the Bible. His reason; – “It is so real!” And that’s what we read in Chapter 17, … Job’s very real and very human appeal to God for relief.

Here, the man has lost everything, including his kids; and he’s now encumbered with horrible, painful boils; and then he’s been enduring absolute foolishness from his so-called “friends.” And as we’ve read through those speeches from Eliphaz and the others, I agree with Swindoll. If I had been God I would have pushed the button on mercy long before this; and I would have visited some relief for Job and some very severe retribution on the three stooges, especially Eliphaz. Swindoll had it right, … maybe having the lips fall off of Eliphaz would have been a nice touch. But as I say so often here in my quiet place, “God is God; and I am not.” And the Lord has chosen to make Job wait on God some more … to ponder and pursue God’s mercy with prayers like the one we read in today’s passage.

And it’s the waiting in faith that becomes the hard part of this relationship with God, isn’t it? It’s holding on to the trust, which is demanded in a passage like Prov. 3: 5 – 6. I hope you know that one by heart. If not, please look it up and meditate on its truth. And remember, it closes by saying, “In ALL your ways, acknowledge [God]; and He will make your paths straight.” [NIV] And that’s exactly what Job is doing in Chapter 17, … pleading with God to give him a straight way out of all of what he has confronted. Job wants to see some light to make it through the fog of his life.

And Swindoll closes with the quote of quotes from the old hymn again, Amazing Grace, which says …

Thru many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come;
‘Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

And as Swindoll closes, “Even through the fog, grace will lead us home.”

My Prayer for Today: Oh, my Lord, the world is so foggy. Please lead us home with Your grace. Amen

No comments: