Monday, September 21, 2009

2009 – Day 263.Sept 21 – How Big Is Your God?

Passage of the Day: Job 38 … Linked for study …

My Journal for Today:
If you were here with me yesterday, I shared from my studies that Job 38 is a response to Job’s fourth “friend,” Elihu, whose message to Job probably had more real truth in it than the other three dudes. However, Elihu, also missed the boat of truth by claiming Job to be self-righteous; but he did convey one basic thing to Job in Chapter 36 which we all should take in; and that is that “God is mighty!” (see Job 36: 5)

What a shock it must’ve been for Job (in Chapter 38) to hear God’s voice coming from a whirlwind; and God was asking all of those questions which confirmed for Job just how BIG God is and just how small was Job.

How BIG is your God, my dear fellow Christian? Chuck Swindoll, in his devotional for today, holds a very clear mirror of truth in front of my face, a mirror for me to confront that question. He writes, “When your God is too small, your problems are too big and you retreat in fear and insecurity. But when your God is great, your problems pale into insignificance and you stand in awe as you worship the King.”

Oh, how true that statement is as it cries out to us: “How big is our God?!!”

I’ll never forget the day on April 13th, 1983, when God showed me just how weak I was spiritually and just how awesome He is. But rather than speaking to me in a whirlwind, he did it quietly – but very powerfully – by a taped testimony of a quadriplegic who found strength in Christ and a scripture verse, Phil. 4: 13, which was on a pamphlet laid on my desk at work the night before by my Christian secretary. Seeing the words Phil. “4:13” on the cover of that little pamphlet; and then seeing the date, “4/13,” flashing on my digital calendar, was like a lightning bolt going off in my brain. Like God speaking out of the whirlwind to Job, God was declaring to me on that morning, “Bill, if you’re looking for Spiritual strength, the only place you’re going to find it is in ME.” I got the message just as Job did; and on that morning I bowed before a very BIG GOD for the first time in my life.

But let’s not be deterred from the question today: “Just how big is your God?” As Swindoll asks, “Big enough to intervene? Big enough to be trusted? Big enough to be held in awe and ultimate respect? Big enough to erase your worries and replace them with peace?”

Because if we can answer that with a resounding “YES!”, we will find the truth in my favorite hymn, which I’ve quoted very often, and which I’m listening to on my Ipod as I write this. >>>

Turn Your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.


My Prayer for Today: Lord, speak to me loudly in a whirlwind or speak to me in a still, small voice. But speak to me, Lord! Amen

No comments: