Monday, September 14, 2009

2009 – Day 256.Sept 14 – Look Up

Blogger’s Note: And finally, I’m back in the groove here at home, in my normal “quite place,” posting my daily devotional, having returned from the weekend retreat where a number of men experienced God’s love and grace in big doses. God was present and powerful this weekend; but it’s good to be back in my own place to be with my Lord here at home.

============================

Passage of the Day: Job 26 … Linked for study …

My Journal for Today:
Yes, we’re back in Job 26 again; but Swindoll wants to make a point for his readers (me); and it is that often, when we are put on our backs with physical ailment, we should recognize that God has us in a good place where we can only look up to see The Lord.

My tendency - often - is to try to buck up rather than look up when I’m physically ill or in pain. I try to go it on my own strength; and these are the moments when I need to be dependent on God the most. Swindoll relates a story about the great British preacher Charles Spurgeon, who became depressed trying to take on the British press, who often went after this great preacher of his day. And Spurgeon’s wife, recognizing her husband’s depression, printed out Matt. 5: 11 – 12 (go find it and read it!), and taped those words from God’s word up on the ceiling over his bed when he wasn’t there. The next morning when Spurgeon awoke, he saw God’s encouraging word above him on the ceiling and was lifted up to go out and declare God’s truth with confidence again.

Well, we may not be as inventive as was Mrs. Spurgeon; but we can realize that when our gaze is cast down by our own attitude, maybe in a funk of depression, we should go to the mighty truths of God Himself and let Him lift us up as we LOOK UP to our Lord. Some days ago I listed several of the scripture memory verses which I use when I get down, verses like Isaiah 41: 10 or Phil. 4: 13 or 2nd Cor. 12: 9. It is always the case that my meditation on these truths lifts me up; but I have to choose to look up to God through His word to be lifted up by His truth.

So, my friend, we can all get down at times; but when we do, we need to see that it’s time to look up and let our Lord do what He promises in Matt. 11: 28-30; and when we let Him, He will always do exactly what He promises. He did it for Job; and He’ll do it for us.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, thank You for Your promises of Your power when we are weak. Amen

No comments: