Monday, March 12, 2012

March 12, 2012 … Hear … Learn … Obey!

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Deuteronomy, Chapters 5-7To study these chapters, go to this link -

Deuteronomy 5: 1: … [Hear, Learn, and Obey] … [God to His people] … Moses summoned all Israel and said: “Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them”
================
Deuteronomy5: 29: … [Again … To Obey and Live] … [God to Moses] “Oh, that their hearts [i.e., the people of Israel] would be inclined to fear Me and keep all My commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!”

My Journal for Today: Wow! Two verses and two three point sermons right from God’s mouth to the ears of Moses, who, in writing them the Book of the Law, transmits these two power-packed homilies to all of God’s people; and that includes you an me.

The first three-point sermon [in Deut. 5: 1] says “Hear My Laws! … Learn My laws! … and … Obey My laws!” Could God be any more direct and any clearer? I think not! And as I’m confronted by this God-given directive to His people, God’s Spirit in me bubbles forth, from my memory, a powerful truth from another part of His Book … this one from Isaiah 55: 11, which states, for followers of the one, true God, …

“ … so is My word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

How much clearer could God’s directives be for those of us who are covered by both of God’s Covenants (Old and New)? Through His prophets, Moses and Isaiah, directly to us, God is saying … [my humble summary and paraphrase of God’s Deut. 1 and Isaiah 55 sermons] … “HEAR what I say, … LEARN what I say, … DO what I say; and everything you do will be powerful and productive to accomplish My WILL, in My WAY, through My WORD?”

And then we read in Deut. 5: 29 God’s promise to His people (and to you and me in Christ), God’s three-point sermon of promise and what will result (God never lies!!!) when/if we hear, learn, and obey God’s word. God says (again my humble paraphrase), “LISTEN to My word, … REVERENCE My word, … and … OBEY my Word; … and YOU WILL LIVE FOREVER!”

I certainly couldn’t make it any clearer than God gave it to His people through Moses and how God promised power to His people through Isaiah. God was giving His laws to His people so that they [we] could learn them, obey them, and live. But we know that so many of these people, hearing the straight stuff of love from God Himself, couldn’t – or wouldn’t – cut it; and they disobeyed and died.

I don’t think I need to go on here any more about this, do I? God says it! Done deal! … Now, … I need to say to myself here this morning; … knowing God’s truth and dwelling in it daily, … I’m deeply convicted by my memory of the old Nike company motto, which used to say, “JUST DO IT!”

My Prayer Today: … Lord, help me to hear Your word, learn Your word, and do Your will … today and everyday. Amen

No comments: