Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 24, 2013 … God’s Peace, … My Super-weapon!

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 83

Passage of the Day: Psalms 23: 4 [NLT] …  
4 Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.  
============
Contextual Study of today’s passage: Psalms 23 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Isaiah 26: 3-4 : [Only one way to have God’s peace.] …[NLT] …  
3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you! 4 Trust in the LORD always, for the LORD GOD is the eternal Rock. 

Reference Passage #2: 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 : [God’s grace is found in the peace of the trust we have in God’s strength to overcome our weakness.] …[NKJV] …  
9 "... My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in your weakness."

My Journal for Today: How does one deal with the chaos and confusion created by Satan and the world? King David had discovered the answer to that one early in his life; and he exhibited that battle strategy when he faced down Goliath; and he wrote about his weapon for chaos in the oft quoted “rock song,” … the 23rd Psalm. And Os Hillman refers to David’s battle strategy against bedlam with Psalms 23, Verse 4, copied above.

David was not afraid of Goliath when he walked into that “valley of death,” because David had his mind on God’s strength, not on his own weakness or Goliath’s strength. That’s why Jesus’ words help the Apostle Paul to quell his anxiety about “the thorn” which God had allowed Satan to give Paul. And that is Isaiah’s word (from Isaiah 26: 3) is God’s prescription against fear and worry anytime/anywhere we face troubles in our life.

In our lives I think we have all faced the fears associated with walking in that “valley of the shadow of death,” where Satan and the world, along with our own flesh conspire to let fear become our own worst enemy. But God give us the answer that David and Isaiah found and which the Apostle Paul discovered through his “thorn.” If we keep our eyes on Jesus and keep focused on the truth that His strength is always greater than that of Satan or the world (see 1st John 4: 4), God’s peace because our greatest weapon against Satan’s promise of chaos, giving us God’s vision of life in the face of the shadow of death.

And how do we capture and hold on to God’s peace in the midst of the world’s caldron of chaos? Well, I’m doing that right now, coming here every morning, being with God in the peace of my “quiet place,” taking the high ground for battle in prayer, and being armed for battle by sharpening my Spirit Sword, taking God into my mind through His word. God’s word from Isaiah (in Chapter 26, verse 3) comes alive for me when I’m here each morning; and when I walk from this quiet place out into Satan’s world, my mind is stayed on God, by trusting in His word, and I’m ready for battle today.

And once again, I quiet my mind/heart for battle today, capturing God’s peace, … by taking in those wonderful lyrics in the song, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus … linked here in this version sung by Michael W Smith.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, as I walk into the valley of the shadow of death today, I will fear no evil, … for I know and trust that You are with me! … Amen

No comments: