Friday, March 29, 2013

March 29, 2013 … Clearly Our Calling

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 88

Passage of the Day: John 21: 22 [in the context of verses 19-22] [NLT] …  
19 Jesus said this to let him know what kind of death he would die to glorify God. Then Jesus told him, “Follow me.” 
20 Peter turned around and saw the disciple Jesus loved [referring to John] following them — the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who among us will betray you?” 21 Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?” 
22 Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You follow me.”  
============
Contextual Study of today’s passage: John, Chapter 21 [NLT] … Go to this link … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Luke 9: 23 : [Likely a truth you have memorized by now – or should have.] …[NKJV] …  
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow Me. …” 

Reference Passage #2: Philippians 1: 6 : [His until we are completed in Him.] …[NLT] … 
  6 And I am sure that God, Who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again. 

My Journal for Today: How often in our work-a-day lives do we end up comparing ourselves and what we do to others, feeling that others are getting favored or treated differently? Am I the only one who’s felt that I was being treated unfairly or should be recognized more by my boss for what I was doing? …I doubt it. … You probably have felt that way too … somewhere along the way in life.

Well, in the highlight Scripture text above, chosen by Os Hillman today, we see a very human scenario unfold just after the resurrected Jesus had helped Peter be restored to his relationship with His Savior, so that Peter would/could move out and follow Christ as a leader in the Church. … But Jesus also, in stark reality, let Peter know that he would one day die for following his Messiah. And immediately we see Peter’s very human reaction to ask Jesus about John; and Jesus told Peter that this was Jesus’ concern, not his, … indicating that Peter’s concern was only to follow Christ.

 And therein lies the clarification of our role and our walk in life as Christians. How many times have you read me cite Jesus’ clarion call to discipleship in these morning journal entries – that verse from Luke 9: 23 [that hopefully you have memorized by now – but it’s copied above, too]? And that’s what Jesus was clarifying for Peter in the scenario Hillman uses to illustrate that our focus in our life and work should always be on Jesus and following Him … and not on what others are doing.

Let me close by linking you – again – to that old hymn, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, which I’ve linked others to often in my blogs, and which really expresses today’s point about as well as it can be said … and with such melodic clarity. 

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I turn my eyes on You; and Your call is clear to follow. … Amen

No comments: