Monday, August 15, 2016

August 15, 2016: Forging a Legacy

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 228  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of the group Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing … I Want To Be Like You, proclaiming the desire to leave a legacy of Christlikeness Christian parents desire to be for the next generation.


Highlight Passage:  Matthew 6:8 [NKJV] …  
1 A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, … loving favor rather than silver or gold. 
… A good name is the strongest legacy we can leave for our children.
===========
Highlight Context … Proverbs 22:1-12 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Leaving a legacy of Godliness for those who come after us.
===========

Reference Passage #1 … Ephesians 4:1, 6:4 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Living as we’re called to live, in Christ, and raising our kids toward Christlikeness will be a strong legacy for God’s glory.

Reference Passage #2 … Galatians 5:22-23 [NKJV] …  
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 
… Living in Spirit-led fruitfulness will ALWAYS leave a legacy of Christlikeness.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Joe Stowelli, used a personal story to illustrate the need for Christians to leave a legacy of Christlikeness. He wrote: While staying in a hotel in a small town I noticed that the church across the street was having a service. People were jammed into the church with a standing-room-only crowd of both young and old flowing out onto the sidewalk. When I noticed a hearse by the curb, I realized it was a funeral. And given the crowd, I assumed that it was the celebration of the life of some local hero—perhaps a wealthy businessperson or a famous personality. Curious, I said to the desk clerk, “That’s an amazing turnout for a funeral; it must be for a famous person in town.” 
“No,” he replied. “He wasn’t rich or famous; but he was a good man.” 

 When we die, as disciples of Christ, what kind of a legacy do we want to leave for others to say of our lives, … especially our family (see attached photo)?  I would pray that I would follow the Apostle Paul’s admonition … to live a life worthy of my calling in Christ (see Eph. 4:1) and that my wife and I have, together, raised our children in the admonition of the Lord (see Eph. 6:4).

In that way, … in our fruitfulness as a Christian parents/grandparents (see Gal. 5:22-23) … I’m praying that our kids/grandkids would all want to sing, as do Phillips, Craig, and Dean in the linked song above, “I want to be like you.”

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Help my dear wife and I live in a way which honors and glorifies You to those who come after us.  Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: