Thursday, August 25, 2016

August 25, 2016: Truth Hidden in the Heart

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 238  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …   Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of images from Keith and Krystin Getty singing … Speak O Lord, poignantly praying that God’s truth and light be seen in us and His truth shines through our words.


Highlight Passage: Psalm 119:11 [NKJV] …  
11 … Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against you. 
… God’s word, memorized deeply our hearts will be with us all our lives
===========
Highlight Context … Psalm 119:9-11, 17-19, 130-134 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God, thru the Psalmist, shows the value/power of God’s word
===========

Reference Passage #1 … Isaiah 55:11 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God’s word, when heeded and applied to our lives for God’s purposes, always has power.

Reference Passage #2 … Matthew 5:14-16 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  
… Jesus charges His disciples to live our lives shining the truth of His word in how we live.

Reference Passage #3 … 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Paul instructs Timothy and us on the power, influence, and helpfulness of knowing God’s word.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Cindy Hess Kasper, taught with a position taken by a physician about the value and power of having God’s word imbedded deeply in our consciousness. She wrote: One difficult part of growing older is the fear of dementia and the loss of short-term memory. But Dr. Benjamin Mast, an expert on the topic of Alzheimer’s disease, offers some encouragement. He says that patients’ brains are often so “well worn” and “habitual” that they can hear an old hymn and sing along to every word. He suggests that spiritual disciplines such as reading Scripture, praying, and singing hymns cause truth to become “embedded” in our brains, ready to be accessed when prompted. 

I’m not going to write very much here to expand on the ODB observations above … as well as the song from Keith and Krystin Getty. And I will pray that when one takes in those truths, we will be motivated to do what the author of Psalm 119 wrote, … writing that great poem/song to honor the power and application of God’s word to our lives.

My fellow Christian, many years ago, a mentor thought enough of me to convey the truth of the reference Scriptures above; and helping me to memorize over 70 key passages from God’s word, … which utterly changed my life - for God’s good. And that’s why you find me here each morning, digging deeper and deeper into God’s truth, thru His word, so that my mind/heart will prayerfully reflect His power/love.

O how I pray that readers here share the passion for God’s word which the Psalmist who wrote Psalm 119 and the Gettys have in their song, linked above.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Every day here, Lord, You build Your power into my life through Your word.  Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: