Wednesday, March 15, 2017

March 15, 2017 ... A Gospel Legacy

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 74 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Joy Williams singing her song … Do They See Jesus In Me … poignantly singing of what should be the desire of all Christians … for others to see Jesus in the way we live, leaving a legacy of Christ when we leave this world.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2Timothy 1:5 [NLT] … 
5 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. 
… Paul had left a legacy of the Gospel in Timothy’s life to be passed on to others.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2Timothy 1:1-5 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul writes of the legacy of Christ left in Timothy by his family and thru Paul’s mentoring. 
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Deuteronomy 6:4-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God charges all believers in Him to pass along His legacy to our family and others in every opportunity we have.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Solomon knew that the only way we can find our way thru life is to surrender, completely, to the One to show us the way … His way!

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … Matthew 28:19-20 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Christ’s “Great Commission” to Christians to GO and do all we can to make other disciples in His Name and for His glory.

Reference Passage #4 [NKJV] : … Luke 9:23 [NLT] … 
23 Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me. …” 
… As we walk thru life, following Jesus, do others see Jesus in the way we live.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Keila Ochoa, used a personal story to illustrate how we Christians must live in order to pass along a legacy of Christ to those who come after us. The ODB author wrote: Grandpa and Grandma Harris didn’t have a lot of money, yet they managed to make each Christmas memorable for my cousins and me. There was always plenty of food, fun, and love. And from an early age we learned that it was Christ who made this celebration possible. We want to leave the same legacy to our children. When we got together last December to share Christmas with family, we realized this wonderful tradition had started with Grandpa and Grandma. They couldn’t leave us a monetary inheritance, but they were careful to plant the seeds of love, respect, and faith so that we—their children’s children—might imitate their example.

Fellow Christian, … do you have such a family legacy of Christmas and Christ in your life? I did not. … It was a mentor, later in my life, … much like the Apostle Paul was to Timothy [see the highlight passage], … who began to instill in me the legacy written about in the OT (see Deut. 6:4-7) and in the NT where Jesus commanded His disciples to follow Him and to lead others to Him (see Luke 9:23 and Matthew 28:19-20 ).

And the roaring question which resounds from today’s ODB entry for me is … Am I doing all I can to leave a legacy of Christlikeness in the way I think, the way I walk, and the way I lead others to Christ?”

What are we doing in our lives to show others, … our family, our friends, and others, the way to the Lord and in leading others to follow His way of living. Paul did that for Timothy. Are we doing it for others?

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … LORD, … As Joy Williams sings in the linked song, … I so want others to see You in me … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: