Saturday, March 11, 2017

March 11, 2017 ... Help!!!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 70 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of lyrics sung by Jordan Smith singing a contemporary arrangement of the classic hymn … Great Is Thy Faithfulness … powerfully singing of our assurance of God’s faithfulness when we are in dire need of His presence and power.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 86:6-7 [NLT] … 
6  Listen closely to my Prayer, O Lord; hear my urgent dry. 7 I will call to You whenever in trouble, and You will answer me. 
… David knew God would hear his “Mayday” call.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 86:1-13 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… King David’s faith and trust in His God for deliverance in dire circumstances.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Isaiah 41:10 [NLT] … 
10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 
 … God will always direct and lift up His chosen one.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Lamentations 3:22-23 [NLT] … 
22  The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. 23 Great is His faithfulness; … His mercies begin afresh every morning. 
… God’s mercies NEVER cease.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … John 16:33 [NLT] … 
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” 
… We will ALWAYS have troubles in this life. That’s Jesus’ promise. But it is also His promise that He has overcome the trials of this world; and we are to find our peace in Him.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David McCasland, used a traditional emergency call for help, “Mayday,” to illustrate how we can - and should - call on God in times of trial. The ODB author wrote: The international distress signal “Mayday” is always repeated three times in a row—“Mayday-Mayday-Mayday”—so the situation will be clearly understood as a life-threatening emergency [see photo]. The word was created in 1923 by Frederick Stanley Mockford, a senior radio officer at London’s Croydon Airport. That now-closed facility once had many flights to and from Le Bourget Airport in Paris. According to the National Maritime Museum, Mockford coined Mayday from the French word m’aidez, which means, “help me.” 

The ODB entry today took readers back to a time when King David was in an emergency situation; and just as we should in dire circumstances, he knew exactly to Whom he must call on and to trust for deliverance. When threatened by life, King David put out a MAYDAY call to His God (see highlight passages above).

Do I really need to go deeper to write about the message for us Christians after you’ve taken in the Scriptures above and heard Jordan Smith sing his rendition of that classic old hymn. I think not!

Jesus promised His disciples (and that’s us too) that He had overcome the world with all of our trials/troubles. The question is do we believe it; … and will we, like David, go first - and foremost - to God when we get in a MAYDAY [!!] situation?

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … LORD, … You are my MAYDAY Redeemer!! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: