Monday, August 28, 2017

August 28, 2017 … Try A Little Kindness

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 240 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Glen Campbell singing … Try A Little Kindness … poignantly declaring how we, as Christians, need to reach out in His Name and help those who need a little kindness.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 41:1a [NLT] … 
1 Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! 
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 41:1a [NKJV] … 
1 Blessed is he who considers the poor. 
… King David sings a blessing for those who “pay attention” to the poor.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 41:1-3 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… David expresses God’s wishes for those who pay attention to the poor.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NLT] : … Matthew 25:40 [NLT] … 
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ 
… When we pay attention to the needy and help them, Jesus says that we’re helping Him.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David Roper, quotes John Newton with a convicting lesson (at least for me) about paying attention to the needy around us. The ODB author wrote: John Newton wrote, “If, as I go home, a child has dropped a halfpenny, and if, by giving it another, I can wipe away its tears, I feel I have done something. I should be glad to do greater things; but I will not neglect this.” These days, it’s not hard to find someone in need of comfort: A care-worn cashier in a grocery store working a second job to make ends meet; a refugee longing for home; a single mother whose flood of worries has washed away her hope; a lonely old man who fears he has outlived his usefulness. 

Today’s ODB entry was convicting for me. So often these days I see those who appear down-and-out, begging alongside the road at traffic stops; and I am conflicted as to whether I should help them in some way. They appear so needy; but I’ve had experiences in the past where I’ve given them food and observed them throw it away because they wanted money, perhaps to appease their addictions. 

What to do?

But then I recalled one of Aesop’s sayings, … “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” And I’m convicted that it’s not MY responsibility what the perceived beggar does with my help, … it’s only my calling (by Jesus Himself in Matt. 25:40) to see the needy as Jesus Himself and to reach out and serve my Lord. And it really all boils down to what Glen Campbell sings in his hit song, linked above. And so, I hope that we all “try a little kindness” today.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Today I pray that I will see You in anyone that really needs Your help thru my act of kindness. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: