Friday, July 02, 2010

2010 – July 2 – Keep Asking the Important Question

Study from God’s Word Isaiah 21: 11-12; Is 34: 5-17; Is 21: 13-17; Is 23: 1-18; 2Kgs 16: 7-20; 2Chron 28: 22-27; 2Kgs 16: 20b; 18: 1-7 [2Chron 18: 1-2; 29: 2] … Passage for Reflection: Isaiah 21: 11-12 … NIV Someone calls to me from Seir, "Watchman, what is left of the night? Watchman, what is left of the night?" 12 The watchman replies, "Morning is coming, but also the night. If you would ask, then ask; and come back yet again."

My Journal for Today: Dr. Smith, in his devotional for today, provokes a dear memory for this war weary parent. He reminds me of the day when traveling with two little girls, they would ask repeatedly, especially after a long day of travels in the car, “Daddy, are we there yet?” And then it would usually follow, “How much longer is it?” My answer to the former question was always the same, “No;” but my answer to the latter changed as we got closer to our destination. However, our girls could never really appreciate that answer – at their age – because time didn’t really mean that much to them.

Today, Isaiah, the Prophet gives much the same question that we ask of God as travelers in this world. “Lord, what is left of the night?” And God’s answer for His children will always be the same, which is, “Soon.” But there’s no use for me to ask my God, “How much longer do I have,” because He cannot and will not give me information which I can comprehend, will He?

My response to God, as my Watchman, must always be to trust that He’s carrying me in the right direction and He’s totally in control of the time we have to get to HIS destination. And if I try to be my own “watchman,” I will carry myself – and others – in the wrong direction and still not know how long I have to get where I’m going.

Our journey through life, to its end, and the beginning of eternity will always be answered by God – at least for a child of His – in Proverbs 3: 5 – 6, a truth which I hope you have memorized and internalized. And I will paraphrase it here as if I, as God’s child were to ask, “Are we there yet, Father?” He would always respond … Trust Me child, with all your heart, and don’t try to answer things on your own. Just follow Me; and I will get us there safely – and on time.

That’s all I need to know.

My Prayer for Today: Thank, You, Lord; … I will let Your Spirit lead me. Amen

No comments: