Thursday, August 04, 2011

August 4, 2011 … Love of Money Ignores True Gain

Passage of the Day: 1st Timothy 6: 6 … 6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

My Journal for Today: John MacArthur in his published devotional for this date in Strength for Today, exposing the verse for the day from Paul to Timothy, writes, “True wealth is found in contentment, not in monetary gain.” Besides citing the verse above, he also quotes an old Roman proverb which disclaims, “Money is like seawater; … the more you drink, the thirstier you get, until you die from it’s poison.” MacArthur also supports his claim by citing Solomon in Eccl. 5: 10, who warns, “Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income..” And finally he cites a quote from the richest man on earth in his day, John D. Rockefeller, who, at his wealthiest, said, “I have made millions, but they brought me no happiness.”

So, … are we getting the picture yet?! From the experience of the ages to the ultimate truth, which is God’s word, we see that happiness and true contentment are not correlated with the love of money and the pursuit of material gain. And yet, so many, and that includes far too many Christians, pursue wealth in the hopes of finding security, contentment, peace, and happiness. And if you read and meditate on Proverbs 30: 8 – 9 as well as 2nd Corinthians 3: 5, you will see that real contentment, peace, and happiness can only be found in a deep and abiding relationship with God.

Oh how our enemy Satan wants us to believe his lies that worldly gain can provide happiness, peace, and/or contentment. But I, for one, give as loud a testimony as I can here in print that I used to be one who pursued happiness through Satan's lie of worldly gain; but I never found contentment until I came to know God, the Son, Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord; and the more I know Him, the more contentment I find in Him … and Him alone.

I pray that you find your peace and contentment in Jesus as well; and again, as I so often do, during my devotional time in these mornings, I remember and sing in my heart the words of that old hymn …

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face;
And the things of this world will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.


My Prayer Today:
There is no contentment, Lord, except in You. Amen

No comments: