Tuesday, October 21, 2014

October 21, 2014 - Helping the Lost

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 294

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please take the time to see/hear a video with Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing one of their most powerful songs, He’ll Do Whatever It Takes, a song I use often in my journaling to illustrate what the attached photo depicts - that Jesus came to save the lost, the hurting, the broken - and we are to be like Him, reaching out to those who need His saving grace. … And THEN ON TO THIS LINK  to hear Queen Latifah sing the poignant song, Fix Me Jesus, a truth which we all need from our Lord.


Highlight Passage: Luke 5: 31-32 [NKJV} …
  31 Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.” 
============
Highlight Context - NKJV: Luke 5: 27-32 [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK  Yes, Jesus came to save even a tax collector …

Reference Passage #1 … Galatians 6: 1-5 — GO TO THIS LINK  … We are charged as Christians to reach out to the selfish sinners in the world - to help them find Jesus or let the Savior fix them (as in the second song above)

Reference Passage #2 … Philippians 2: 3-4 — GO TO THIS LINK   … Paul teaches the essence of Christ - loving the unlovable - helping the broken - leading the lost to our Lord

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Julie Ackerman Link, returned me to a theme I wrote about just a couple of weeks ago (Oct. 15th to be exact - SEE THIS LINK ).

 That ODB was authored by Philip Yancey, who used a parallel passage from Matthew 9 as the one link above uses today from Luke 5 to show how Jesus came to be born of a Virgin and die on a cross to save the lowest of us - sinners … the likes of Matthew, the tax collector. And from the reality of our charge as Christians (see Acts 1: 8 and Matthew 28: 19), we have been commissioned by our Lord to go out and do all we can to witness to our Lord and to make disciples of the lost.

 I’m often asked, out in public, the general question, “How’re you doing?” Or possibly, “How are you?” And long ago a mentor taught me to respond, … “Always better than I deserve.” And very often that answer will solicit an inquiry as to what I mean, which then gives me a chance to witness to others or even to give my testimony of how Jesus saved me - a VERY lost and broken sinner.

 I’m not going to write much more here. You can take in the attached photo, one of my favorites to illustrate Jesus saving the broken in our world. And listen to two of my favorite songs, which remind me of what Jesus did for me. And then meditate on the scriptures linked above, all of which may motivate you, when asked, “How are you;” to use that opportunity to share your Jesus with someone who needs His saving/sanctifying grace today.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, … Show me someone today, whom I can share how You saved me and even more importantly how You can save them. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: