Thursday, April 25, 2019

April 25, 2019 … All I Need

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 115

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video with song and lyrics from the group Hillsong United singing … Jesus, You’re All I Need … poignantly singing of how Christians live only for the glory of our Lord.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 4:4 [NLT] … 4 But Jesus told [Satan], No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ [Deut 8:3]”
 … As Satan temps Jesus, who is hungry, having fasted 40 days, the Lord quotes from OT truth that we are sustained by God’s truth.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Matthew 4:1-11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus holds on to the truth, from God’s word, that man cannot live by bread alone. 
==============

Reference Passage : … Deuteronomy 8:1-3 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God reminds His people that they live for His truth, knowing that He, the Lord, will provide them with their needs.

Reference Passage : … Philippians 4:19 [NLT] … 19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. 
… Trusting God to supply all we need.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David H Roper, used a story about his grandson to illustrate how material possessions will never satisfy our needs. The ODB author wrote … When our grandson Jay was a child his parents gave him a new T-shirt for his birthday. He put it on right away and proudly wore it all day. 
When he appeared the next morning in the shirt, his dad asked him, “Jay, does that shirt make you happy?” 
“Not as much as yesterday,” Jay replied. 
That’s the problem with material acquisition: Even the good things of life can’t give us the deep, lasting happiness we so strongly desire. Though we may have many possessions, we may still be unhappy. 

Reading this illustration of how, as Jesus taught (in Matt. 6 and God’s word in Deut. 8), we will never be completely satisfied - in our souls - with material possessions. It’s what Jesus called out to Satan when the Devil tempted our Lord in the wilderness (see Matt. 4:1-11 and also Luke 4:1-13). And it’s the lesson the ODB author’s grandson learned having been gifted with the T-shirt.

And it’s why I’m here every morning, feeding my soul on God’s truth [see photo], … knowing that I need to be sustained by God’s truth every day, which I can feed on from His word. I know, and I pray all reading here also know, that God will supply all my [our] needs (see Phil. 4:19); and, as Hillsong sings, our Lord is really all that we really need.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for giving all I need to feed my soul from Your word.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here can, and will, join me, to feed on God’s truth daily. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: