Sunday, May 03, 2009

2009 – Day 122.May 03 – from The Daily Bread - In Remembrance of Me

2009 – Day 122.May 03 – from The Daily Bread - In Remembrance of Me

Blogger’s Note:
On vacation with family, when I left home, traveling to East TN, I left the Swindoll devotional book at home. Therefore, I’ve chosen to use the devotions from the classic book, The Daily Bread, for my devotionals while I’m on vacation. The online version was available for me to use during my travels.

Daily Bread Passage for May 3: Luke 22: 7 - 22 ... Passage linked for your study …

My Journal for Today:
The author of today’s devotional in The Daily Bread uses a common scenario to help us identify with the Last Supper scene from today’s passage in Luke 22. The scene had two parents leaving pictures of themselves at the eye level of their toddler when they left the child with a baby sitter to help the child remember that the parents would be there for the child in their absence.

And here we have Jesus, knowing that He would not physically be with His Disciples very soon; and so He takes a ritual very familiar to them, the Passover Supper, and gives them a picture in remembrance of Him. I’ve always felt that the sensitivity and love shown in this scene, as we read about it in the New Testament, here in Luke and in the Upper Room Discourse of John 13 – 16, illustrates just how far God will go with His love to reinforce the truth that He will never leave us nor forsake us, a message we can read over and over again in His word (see Deut. 31: 6, Joshua 1: 5, and Hebrews 13: 5).

As the sheep of His flock, Jesus knew His disciples (including you and me) would feel separated at times from our Good Shepherd. So, He gave us a poignant and powerful reminder that would help reinforce the Good Shepherd’s promise that He would die so that we will live forever. As His sheep, we need the truth of Isaiah 53: 6 [linked] bored into our minds and hearts; and our Communion was/is one of God’s way of doing that.

I hope you have ways, like the sharing of Communion, to remember the Good Shepherd in your life. As the sheep of His flock, it’s pretty easy for us to fall prey to letting the circumstances of life dampen or deter our vision of our Shepherd. However, every time I come back to His word every morning – like I am here with this journaling – I’m given a picture at my eye level to remind me that my Good Shepherd is right here with me. And as I write this, I do so in remembrance of Him.

My Prayer for Today: Oh, my Good Shepherd, thank You for giving me remembrances from Your word of Your presence. Amen

PS NOTE: The timing and imagery of the Daily Bread author today using a “baby sitter” scenario to illustrate God’s desire to comfort His children with His New Covenant Communion was not lost on me today since I had left my “security blanket” (i.e., my daily devotional book) when I left home. It was as if God was saying to this little wayward lamb, “Don’t worry, Bill, … My word from The Daily Bread will bring Me close to you.” And it did just that!

No comments: