Monday, May 04, 2009

2009 – Day 123.May 04 – Wise Protection

2009 – Day 123.May 04 – Wise Protection

Passage of the Day: 1st Samuel 25: 1 – 19 …
Link to 1st Sam. 25 for study …

My Journal for Today:
I have to admit; when I read through Swindoll’s selected passage today before I read his devotional entry, I wondered what Pastor Chuck, the author and teacher was going to glean from this passage which could be applied for our growth as believers. But Swindoll exposed a good lesson we can learn from Abigail, the wife of the shepherd, Nabal.

I did see that David’s attitude left a lot to be desired when it comes to sending 400 armed men when Nabal refused to give anything to David’s cause. Yes, Nabal was a scoundrel of a man; and Swindoll rightly points out that Abigail could have laid back and gotten rid of a lousy husband by letting David’s men crush her abusive husband. But that was not what she did. No, … instead Abigail becomes an example of a protective wife, doing all she could to deter the anger of David’s soldiers.

So, what do we gain from this vignette? Well, first we see that David reacted with carnal anger to Nabal’s insult, sending 400 swordsman to eliminate one Bedouin shepherd. I agree with Swindoll’s assessment; … it’s like taking a shotgun to kill a roach. But in Abigail we see a woman that her husband, who obviously was a scoundrel, really didn’t deserve. And in this scenario, Abigail becomes a model of doing the right thing, the Godly thing, as opposed to the expedient thing.

How often would most people, when they have an opportunity to keep their mouth shut and get rid of a bad thing in their life would step up and do what God would have them do instead of doing the carnally expedient thing? It’s an example of the kind of tests which come our way occasionally to stand for Godly right or to do take the easy, very human, way out. I’ll bet you’re thinking of such a test in your life right now. I’ve certainly had them in my life; and I admit to taking the easy way out all too often.

And I’m also convicted by the fact that I missed the lesson when I read through this passage before reading Swindoll’s devotional to help me grow in my understanding and wisdom as I read God’s word. Oh, there is so much to learn and apply from the Bible; and I hope you, who might be reading along, grow with me as we continue to observe God’s account of the life of David.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, as I live for You, I see today’s lesson. Help me become responsive to Your will rather than reactive in my own flesh. Amen

No comments: