Saturday, May 23, 2009

2009 – Day 142.May 23 – Penetrating the Darkness

2009 – Day 142.May 23 – Penetrating the Darkness

Passage of the Day: 2nd Samuel 22: 1 – 31 or Psalm 18: 1 – 30 …

Link to 2nd Sam. 22 for study …
Also link to parallel version in Psalm 18 …

My Journal for Today: After reading these parallel versions of the same song from David, focus on Verse 29 of 2nd Sam. 22 or Verse 28 or Psalm 18, which truthfully sings …

28 For You will light my lamp;
The LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.


Now, Swindoll asks some pertinent questions, which I condense into one: “Ever been into some tough times when things seemed very dark?” Of course, you have; … we all have! Well, the bottom line becomes, “Is God your light in the dark times?” He obviously was for David; and the King of Israel captured his feelings about this in the poignant Psalm we read from two versions today, a song which we should remember to give us insight and encouragement when things seem so very dark.

I really love the story Swindoll tells in today’s devotional to illustrate the truth of verse 29 from 2nd Sam. 22. He relates his boyhood days, when his dad showed him how to gig flounder at night in shallow waters, by using a small lamp to light the way. He relates that the flounder would come into the shallows to feed on shrimp; and using the small lamp his dad used just gave enough light to see about one step forward and to reveal the flounder.

This story is doubly telling as a word picture; because there are times when we “flounder” in the darkness; and we need a light to move forward. And the light of God is very often just revealing enough to see one step at a time; but when we seek it, God’s light of truth is there to light the way. I think about this truth also with regard to following God’s word, which we know from Psalm 119: 105 is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path.

We need to always remember the truth from these songs when things seem threatening and dark. If we’re willing to humble ourselves to seek God’s light, He will provide it, usually through His word, allowing us to see ahead just far enough to take the next step. Below I pray a prayer that I pray almost every day and very often when things are dark in my life.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, shine Your light brightly on my path so I can’t help but see it to follow You. Amen

No comments: