Wednesday, May 06, 2009

2009 – Day 125.May 06 – Patiently Waiting

2009 – Day 125.May 06 – Patiently Waiting

Passage of the Day: 1st Samuel 25: 29 - 34
Link to 1st Sam. 25 for study ...

My Journal for Today: If you’ve been following this interaction between David and Abigail in these past few days, we are learning some lessons from this wise woman. The character lessons are obvious, such as her loyalty to her husband and family and her courage in confronting an angry king-to-be with a force of 400 men who were bent on taking out her household. But beyond this, Swindoll points out three lessons in wisdom which we can glean from today’s passage.

And the first of these is stated this way, “When conflicts arise, … be wise.” And I’d go a step further, I’d say, “Be Godly wise!” And my dear fellow believer, take it from my personal record of failures, when we’re in a conflict, the NATURAL reaction will be to act according to our flesh or our feelings; and this is almost always NOT the wise way to go. I learned a long time ago that I need to resist letting feelings dictate my choices or decisions. Rather, instead of reacting, I need to respond. And that means I need to make choices which are consistent with God’s way, not my own way.

In any conflict, there are always at least two sides; and Swindoll is right when he writes, “Weigh the differences” before responding. Hence, I’ve learned, whenever I can, to run any decision or action through the truth of Phil. 4: 6-7 to seek God’s peace from prayer before I go off half-cocked and react in the flesh. In other words, when in doubt, seek God’s route and deny self. And again, I refer – as I do so often – to Christ’s formula for discipleship in Luke 9: 23. God’s way is always THE WAY.

Next Swindoll writes about this scenario, “Take each conflict as it comes; … and treat it separately.” Each conflict and situation may require a different approach or decision. And that’s the reason the flesh can so often lead us astray. When we react in the flesh rather than to respond with Godly wisdom, we have a tendency to do handle varying situations with the way our flesh dictates; and that will often be with similar, selfish motives. The battle you won yesterday may not need the same approach as a conflict which arises today. So, we must take on each situation as it arises … one at a time!

And finally, there is great wisdom in letting time help us dictate our decision making. And so, Swindoll points out, “Whenever you realize there’s nothing more you can do, … WAIT.” And actually, this wisdom melds with the other advice we’ve been covering these past few days. If David had acted brashly, in the flesh, he would have killed Abigail’s husband and all the males in that household. He would have reacted in the flesh rather than to respond with Godly wisdom. But by waiting and listening to Abigail’s wise counsel and teaching, God’s way was found and the Lord’s wisdom prevailed. Often – well, whenever possible – it’s best to take some time to make a decision, seeking God’s will and His way, rather than letting our feelings or our flesh overcome our faith. And, oh, how the enemy desires for us to listen to our deceitful flesh (again, always remember the ever prevalent truth of Jer. 17: 9) rather than to take the time to respond to God’s leading.

As I meditate here about Abigail and her advice and counsel for David, I think about how I’ve learned to take time, when I need to make a decision, seeking and listening to the advice of my God-given wife, Elly. I may not always take her counsel [though if I’m honest, I usually do]; but I’d be a fool not to let God use her Spirit-given gifts to temper my feelings or leanings on any given matter. And often, when I’m listening to my wife, I’ve heard her return to her favorite Bible verse; and she will say “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding.” And I know the rest from Prov. 3: 5 – 6, which is always the best advice, “In all your ways, acknowledge [God’s way], and He will keep your paths straight.” [My emphasis added.]

The advice we read above, which comes from this biblical encounter, is a good teaching; and it’s one we’d all be wise to learn and implement, especially when we’re confronted with decisions which weigh our feelings and our faith. Let’s let Abigail be our teacher and let David’s surrender to God’s wisdom be our guide.

My Prayer for Today: Father, thank You for Your word which teaches me Your way rather than following my way. Amen

No comments: