Wednesday, July 22, 2009

2009 – Day 202.July 22 – Full of Surprises


Passage of the Day: Esther 5: 4 - 14 …
Esther 5 linked for study …

My Journal for Today: Today, Chuck Swindoll again focuses on today’s passage from Esther’s remarkable and exciting story as the plot of intrigue thickens. But Swindoll contends that many Christians don’t see life as an exciting opportunity to serve God. He writes, …”Too many Christians are lulled into languor (which is a condition of situational listlessness or dulled boredom). … When that happens, you become calloused and insensitive. … The walk of faith is designed [by God, of course] to be a walk of adventure, filled with periodic and delightful surprises.” And the question by Swindoll becomes, “What is your life like?”

And Swindoll is right. It is true that one needs to have some daily disciplines which repetitively are designed to go deep in a love relationship with our God. I’m in the midst of one of those right now, writing this journal from my daily quiet time of prayer, devotional study, and meditation on God’s word. And this might be seen like a boring and repetitive exercise of faith. BUT … that is far from the case. Every day I show up here – or wherever my life may take me as the sun comes up – and I come to this place excitedly waiting for God to show me more of Himself, … to reveal more of His truth to me. And, my dear one, God meets me in this place, extending His Spirit-led grace of enlightenment to me … yes, little old me! How could one be listless with the excitement of knowing that God wants to hear from me (see Psalm 116: 1 – 2); and He wants to give me jewels from my mining into His mind (see Job 28 – yes, the entire chapter). … My friend, we may not be involved in life threatening intrigue as was Esther; but we are in a war – EVERYDAY; and the potential for service to God in His army, gives us exciting opportunities to witness for Him.

My friend that’s excitement! And it’s certainly not languorous inertia. There is so much going on in the world these days to keep a believer on his/her toes. Just like Esther, we face our threats from our spiritual enemies, both personal and social. And we need to look at her quiet confidence as she served her God Who was in control. And we serve the same God, Who leads us through life so that we can participate in the excitement of seeing God glorified in the challenging times of life, many of which might be right around the corner – maybe even today.

Today, not much is on my calendar or schedule which looks like it will be very exciting; but I know that God will lead me – if I’m willing to follow (again see Luke 9: 23) – into areas which have the potential for stressful excitement, precarious relationships, as well as the opportunities to shine God’s light (yes, I’m sure you’re thinking of Matt. 5: 16 just like I am). So, my responsibility is to wait on God, as did Esther, and to watch for God’s exciting divine appointments.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, my first excitement for this day is just being here with You. Amen

No comments: