Friday, January 01, 2010

2010 – Day 1. Jan. 1 – The Wondrous Spark of Creation

January 1, 2010 … Reading through the Bible in a Year

Blogger’s Note: This year of 2010, I am committed to read through the Bible in a year; and I’ll be using The Daily Bible by Harvest House Publishers, edited with commentary by F. Legard Smith, along with a companion book, The Daily Bible Commentary, by the same author, from which I’ll be drawing the organization and direction for my journaling.

Day 1 ... January 1

Passage for Study: Genesis 1: 27 … NIV
27 So God created man in His own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female He created them.

My Journal for Today: Why did God do it? Why did He create me to be like Himself? Have you ever thought about that? Our Triune God, as the Creator of everything, decided to create a creature who could relate to Himself. And with a free-will, we would be able to create things as well. Oh, we would not be given the fullness of omniscience and omnipotence, like THE God, Himself; but He would give us the spark of creativity so that we could dream like God, think independently of others, like Him, and to bring ideas into creation, in some respects modeling what God did when He created the world, the universe, and all other creatures which would glorify His Name.

Think about it! You and I are reflections of perfection, made in our original versions, Adam and Eve, to walk with God, tend His garden, relate in harmony with God, and to reflect His glory forevermore. But, as we know, there was one catch on this creative perfection; and that was the element of obedience. God would bless mankind with relationship with Himself and with dominion over God’s creation, IF – and only if, man could curb his free will in the Garden. And we know that our ancestors blew it; and we’ll get to that tomorrow (I’ve looked ahead). But just pause for a moment and contemplate who we are and for what – or Whom - we were created.

I’m still created for God’s glory. I still have free will; and I still can make creative choices which can honor my God [or of course, dishonor Him]. I can still walk with my Lord and talk to my Lord. I can still dream His dreams; and I can do things or make things which shine His light in this world. Yes, I know that my spiritual DNA limits me to battle with my sin nature; but that discussion is for another day. Today, I just want to revel in why my Lord created me and that I can still be a reflection of that creation, choosing to do all I can to relate with Him, to commune with Him, and to honor Him with my life. I can make choices which follow my Lord; and when I do (i.e., through obedience to His leading), I become like Him again; and the world sees His glory shining forth in my life.

What a deal I have … IF … I can just choose to be like the creature He created in me.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, help me to be like the man You created me to be. Amen

No comments: