Sunday, January 31, 2010

2010 Day 31. Jan. 31 – A God Who Relents

From Exodus 32-34 ... Specifically from Exod. 32:14 – Then the Lord relented and did not bring on His people the disaster He had promised.

My Devotional for Today: Go figure. God is a God who never lies [we can read and believe that from the passage in Numbers 23: 19, which states, God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?

Okay, God doesn’t lie; but as we read today through Exodus 32 – 34, our God is influenced by the lives we live as His chosen people; and He is touched by the pleas of His anointed ones, like Moses, who came to Him as advocates for the people of God. And so we read today that God reminded Moses (and God’s people) of His covenant; but he spared those same people because of Moses’ plea; and because of the advocacy of this transformed man, Moses, God was willing to recast His Law a second time in stone and bring that word to His people once again.

And Dr. Smith today asks the crux of a question from this study. He writes, ”Have I (you as well) learned anything from a merciful God about when to keep my promises and when to change my mind?” And yes, I have answered that question in my own mind; but you, my friend, must answer it for yourself in God’s presence here today.

How often can God see inequity and blatant sinful living being perpetrated in His presence and for all the world to see; and then how many times will our Lord be merciful to allow mankind the latitude to repent in remorse for our sins? How many times?

I cannot answer that for you; and I certainly cannot answer that for God.

My Prayer for Today : Lord, my God, have mercy on us, Your sinful children. Amen

No comments: