Friday, January 29, 2010

2010 – Day 29, January 29. A Patterned Sanctuary

Study from Exod. 25-28; Passage for Today ; Exod. 25:8-9 … NIV Then have them make a sanctuary for Me; and I will dwell among them. Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

My Journal for Today : If we can accept – and we should (without question) – that our bodies individually and the church collectively are the temple in which God, The Holy Spirit, dwells, why should we be surprised that God – as He describes in today’s reading from Exodus 25-28 – expects the place where He dwells to be built and furnished with the finest specifications and appointments?

We know from God’s word that He dwells in us (see 1st Cor. 6:19 and 1st Cor. 3:16 ); and so it would behoove us, as stewards of God’s Temple, to keep His dwelling place as well organized and well appointed as we can. But do we?

And here I stand ignominiously convicted by letting God’s home-place (i.e., my body and soul) become somewhat of a mess. … Well, I’m doing better recently, getting my organizational act and my discipline together so that I may honor my Lord’s presence; but I have quite a lot more to do to keep His Tabernacle clean and as well appointed as He would desire for me to have His dwelling place to be to honor His presence.

F. LaGard Smith closes his devotional entry for today by asking, “If God expects nothing but the finest wherever He dwells, how comfortable can I expect Him to be while living in my sanctuary?” I’m doing my best to answer that one for myself; as I would expect you would have to do so as well for yourself.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, may I Keep Your Home in my Heart as Lovely as You need for it to be. Amen.

No comments: