Monday, May 10, 2010

2010 – May 10 – Finding Your Theme

Study from God’s Word Psalms 45, 47, 87 and 110 … Passage for Reflection: Psalm 45: 1 … NIV 1 My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.

My Journal for Today: Today my devotional leader, Dr. F. LaGard Smith, asks some probing questions all of which I acutely challenge me. He asks, "By what noble theme are you stirred? In what grand story do you play a part? What transcendent dream keeps you alive? What unbridled passion drives you? What lofty ideal demands your utmost?"

My friends, those are questions which might challenge someone who considers himself or herself a writer; and they deal with the essence of why a writer writes and what that writes is driven to pen (or “keyboard” in these days). Every day I come to this quiet place; and I read the part of the Bible which Dr. Smith has selected for my daily study; and then I read his devotional message, which in these past days, has come from the Psalms. And each day, Dr. Smith has selected a “theme” for his devotional, some idea which he likely felt God gave him to share with others to move them (i.e., people like me) to draw closer to God by knowing our Lord more deeply and intimately.

And then each day, in the Spirit of God’s word from the truth of Prov. 19: 14 and James 1: 5 – 6, I seek after God’s wisdom to give me words or ideas or ideals which first move me and then move me to reflect on God’s truth so that others might – as I’m sure is Dr. Smith’s goal – get to know God in a more revealing and intimate way.

Some days it’s easier than others; but everyday, God gives me something from His word which I can shape into my words with a goal of helping any who read along with me to run down what I call the “chain of faith,” which simply stated is … knowing God more deeply will cause one to love God more deeply, which will bring one to obey God more readily, which will bring one to serve God more diligently, which will definitely glorify God more powerfully, which – in turn – will allow God to bless that believer more fully.

Oh, how I desire that each day, God is glorified by what I write so that others may know our God more deeply, love Him more intimately, obey Him more readily, and serve Him more effectively. In attempting that, I know that my God has given me something to say which is HIS theme and not my own. If I didn’t believe that, I wouldn’t write what I write each day. So, if you are reading here with me, I pray that is what you glean from what God has given me to write here yesterday, today, and tomorrow … something which allows you to know our God more deeply. Because if that happens, the rest of the chain of faith will follow.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, again, I paraphrase the words of the Proverbs by writing … may the words of this keyboard, and the meditations of my heart, be acceptable in Your sight for You are the Lord of my mind and strength of my sharing. Amen

No comments: