Saturday, May 22, 2010

2010 – May 22 – A Better Way of Seeing the Light

Study from God’s Word Many Proverbs listed in The Daily Bible in Chronological Order from Proverbs 1, 3, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, and 29 ordered by topics by the Editor, including Violence, Murderers, Causing Others Harm, Revenge, Dissension/Strife, Meddling, Truthfulness, Accurate Weights, Boundary Stones, Wrongfully Obtained Gains, Bribery, False Witness, Open-Mindedness, and JusticePassage for Reflection: Proverbs 18: 17… NIV The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.

My Journal for Today: “Seeing the light” … and … “finding the truth” requires an open minded and rigorous search through all the evidence to determine if perceived truth is real truth. And Dr. Smith in his devotional entry for today asks the self challenging question, Is my truth really as true as I believe it to be.”

I’m one who believes in the truth which I’ve read, written by Paul in 2nd Tim. 3: 16, 17. I hope you can quote what it says. All Scripture (i.e., the entire Bible) is inspired by God; and is profitable for doctrine, for instruction, for rebuke, and for correction in righteousness; … that the man of God may be complete and thoroughly equipped for every good work. Do you believe that to be true? Have you examined the facts, in a Berean way (see Luke 17: 10-15), to see if examined evidence backs up the claims of this Scriptural position? As today’s Proverb posits, if we take the Bible and we scrutinize it with the facts of history and the findings of such sciences as archeology, we’d have a lot more confidence in the claimed promises and theological positions in the Bible than if we just went with what it said in THE BOOK.

Well, I went off to college believing that the Bible was true. Then I had an atheist room-mate who asked a bunch of questions about the so-called inconsistencies in the Bible; and he destroyed my faith. For many years I came to believe that THE BOOK was just a bunch of fables and myths, until I was challenged to really look at it; and the latter actually occurred AFTER I had declared Christ to be my Lord and Savior.

BUT (and here is another one of those big “BUTS”), as an atheist, the more I researched the facts which support the promises and claims of the Bible, like those Bereans did when they heard the teachings of Paul in Acts 17, I came to realize – and believe – that THE BOOK is the truth, … the whole truth, … so help Him, God. Other former atheists, and intellectual giants, men like Josh McDowell, Lee Strobel or C.S. Lewis (if you go to this website, you’ll see a long list like those three), men who have come to conversion to Christianity and full belief in the veracity of the Bible by merely being willing to look at the evidence of scriptural truth. If you go and read their books, Evidence that Demands a Verdict [McDowell], The Case for Faith [Strobel], or Mere Christianity [Lewis], you will see why these men, when they really cross-examined the Bible and those apologists who argued for its veracity, came to a faith changing decision to make Jesus Christ the Lord of their lives; and now they teach and preach what they know to be the truth of the Bible and it’s Gospel message. I challenge anyone of unbelief, who questions the truth of the Bible, to read all three of those books above and then to come back and make the same claims of unbelief.

Oh, how I pray that all who read this have examined the evidence for the truth of Scripture; because if you do, … no matter how deep you go into cross examination of the facts, you’ll come to see, as all those on that list at the website I linked you to above have realized, that the Bible is the real deal; and by believing in its truth, you are believing in the truth of Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world [and that include you and me].

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I have examined the truth; and I believe! Amen

No comments: