Tuesday, May 25, 2010

2010 – May 25 [Tues] – Man, Woman, and Mystery

Study from God’s Word Proverbs 30 and 31 … Passage for Reflection: Proverbs 30: 18 - 19… NIV 18 "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand: 19 the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden.

My Journal for Today: The Book of Proverbs closes out with two sets of poems, supposedly not by Solomon, … poems which express much wisdom about manhood, womanhood, and these creatures abiding with God TOGETHER; and today’s focus/highlight verse comes from the sayings of a man referred to as Agur, chosen by God’s Spirit to be a Psalmist [although some scholars have claimed that “Agur” was a pseudonym Solomon chose to use to write this one set of proverbs in Psalm 30. Whoever he is, Agur is a man of much wisdom when you read his poetic verses in this one Psalm.

And reading this poem and the great wisdom of the Godly woman in Psalm 31, one has to see that God created a great and perplexing mystery into the genders of man and woman. And man has always had some of the attitude even Adam must’ve had for his Eve, the attitude which is expressed by the character of Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, when he sings, “Why can’t a woman be more like a man?” Yes, like many of us men, we come to realize that when we married or felt “hooked” by a woman, we were wrapped around the perplexing finger of a creature who was almost our diametric opposite. And, when we’re able to humble ourselves to realize this truth, we have to see that this was God’s design, … to create the “perfected completer,” a woman for a man, who would be vastly different, making man complete when man and woman came together in his first institution, which was marriage.

What a mystery! Two opposites becoming one, yet completing one another, and creating unity out of difference. Is that not wonderful?!! Sometimes, when I think of the 45 years I’ve been blessed to share with my wife, Elly, I’m dumb-founded that two such opposites can be so perfectly matched to face life together as we have. And there have been times when the difference between us caused great, almost explosive, clashes; yet, here we are, after 45 years, experiencing a together of intimacy which only God could have fashioned, especially as our live together glorifies our Lord.

I’m not going to try to add any wisdom here or even try to explain how this mystery of man and woman can come together for God’s glory. All I can do is charge you, as I’m doing here, to praise God for his creation; and if you’ve been able to make a relationship work, as God intended, merely thank Him and go on making that relationship all God intended it to be for His glory.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, You gave me Elly; and all I can do is praise Your Holy Name for her. I, Your man, am completed by this woman. Amen

No comments: