Saturday, May 08, 2010

2010 – May 8 – Knowing the Limits of Knowing

Study from God’s Word Psalms 111, 130, 131, 141, and 146 … Passage for Reflection: Psalm 131: 1 … NIV 1 My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.

My Journal for Today: Dr. F. LaGard Smith has me reading more Psalms, extolling the virtue of faithfulness and the discipline of righteousness; and he has me reeling in the recognition of my own human weakness. And today’s highlight passage from Psalm 131: 1 declares the realization of our limits as well as the respect we should have for the God, Who has created the “…great matters or things too wonderful for me (to fully understand).”

It’s okay to seek after the understanding of God’s way and His will for our lives. He has given us that prerogative and even invited us to get to know Him and His ways deeply. However, we should never be so presumptuous and prideful to think that we’re ever going to be able to plumb the depths of His mind/heart. How often do I return to the humbling premise, ”God is God; and I am not!” And … right in this moment, having meditated on today’s passage, my memory of Scripture has bubbled up in my consciousness, allowing me to remember the words from God to God’s people through the Prophet in Isaiah 55: 8 – 9, which I charge you to go back and study [with the available link], if you don’t know it by heart.

As Smith states today, “… we are foolish to think that we humans could ever unravel the mystery of God Himself;” but even more foolish are those who think they can substitute their own theories or human understanding to posit answers for the unanswerable. And there are many atheists who dabble in such foolishness. At one time in my life I was one of those fools; and I now recognize that all I was doing by trying to substitute my interpretations of such phenomena as the origins of life was giving me an excuse to be my own “god,” not having to obey or live under the sovereignty of THE GOD. And that prideful foolishness got me nowhere in life, … only brokenness and pain.

But now I recognize that God has given me all I need to gain as much understanding about my God as I need to in this life; and that understanding, which is the fear of the Lord and the beginning of wisdom [see Psalm 111: 10], comes from – and ONLY comes from – His truth through His word. As Peter extolled believers in 2nd Peter 1: 3-4, I have enough from God’s truth and seeking His ways to live in this life; and all I have to do is trust my Lord; and he will lead me into and through the minefields of my life (see Prov. 3: 5-6). And that’s enough for me; as it should be enough for you as well.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, You and Your word are enough knowledge for me. Amen

No comments: