Wednesday, May 05, 2010

2010 – May 5 – Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

Study from God’s Word Psalms 139, 145, 148, and 150 … Passage for Reflection: Psalm 139: 13 – 16 … NIV 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

My Journal for Today: David’s exposition and expression of God’s truth about who we are as humans was truly amazing. Writing the words we focus on today in my devotional journal, David, inspired by the Holy Spirit, reveals truths that went way beyond man’s ability to see the reality of our existence in this world – and even more so with our immortal souls living onward into eternity.

I have stood by as an autopsy was performed as Dr. Smith reflects in his devotional today; and I have marveled at what I was viewing. The human body truly was/is ”fearfully and wonderfully made;” and it is an insult to human intelligence for any atheist to declare that all of what we know of as our physical bodies was knit in the womb of a woman by some accident of evolution. In fact, in my days 30+ years ago, when I tried to hold on to my open antagonism for Christians and Christianity, I could not hold to the ridiculous premise that evolution could be posited as truth. It took far more in blind faith to try to believe and support evolution than it did to hear the arguments from the Bible from Christians for God’s wondrous and purposeful creation.

But as “fearfully and wonderfully” made is our body, which is finite in death, what about the even more wondrous nature of our soul, which is infinite? And in the pre-scientific world and times in which David wrote Psalm 139, isn’t it wonderful how God led this very human and fallible man to reflect upon the human spirit, which is even more “fearfully and wonderfully made” than is the body. The latter is mortal; and the former is immortal; and taken together – our body and soul – they are truly, fearfully, and wonderful made!

And as I’ve said before, “awesome” is a word we have denigrated in our times by its casual and prolific use; but truly AWESOME is who we are as we were created by the mind of God, as Psalm 139 reflects, before all recorded time was measured out. Yes, WE ARE FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE!”

My Prayer for Today: Lord, here is another one of those moments, as I choose to come to You, when all I can muster in prayer is to PRAISE Your Name and to say, “HALLELUJAH” for the creation of my body and soul. May they become a reflection of Your handiwork as I choose to be a witness in this world to/for Your glory. Amen

No comments: