Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012 … God’s Mighty Warriors

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: 2nd Samuel 22-23 … To study these chapters, go to this link
============
Passage of the Day #2: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 57 … To study these chapters, go to this link
============

Highlight Passage : 2nd Samuel 22: 32-33 32 For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? 33 It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. ============
Highlight Passage #2 : 2nd Samuel 23: 8-39 8 These are the names of David's mighty warriors:[warriors listed by name with some description of exploits] 


My Journal for Today: Today’s chronological reading is a bit confusing for me, especially since Psalm 57 was written by David back farther in David’s history than at the time he was described as escaping from Absalom, which we’ve been reading about more lately in the reading plan. . Actually, Psalm. 57 was written to describe the challenges David encountered when he was escaping from Saul, encountering him in the caves of Ein Gedi. But I can see that the psalm which was written as 2nd Samuel 22, was likely written/sung late in David’s life after he lost his son, Absalom; and it was likely a re-write of Psalm 18, which also commemorated David’s fleeing from Saul. And both of these songs express how David turned to God for his strength in times of trial.

Therefore, I charge my fellow readers here to go back and meditate on all of that song in 2nd Samuel 22, where David helps us to realize and remember many (certainly not all) of the qualities of our God. From verses 2-4, David writes of God being our “Rock, protector, shield, fortress and our strength and stronghold.”

When in your life has God been your Rock as He has been for me? Maybe it would be a good exercise to stop here and write a little prayer to God, thanking Him for being there for you when you felt like you were on the run from some oppressive event or force in your life. Forgive me for getting personal as I write one little prayer here reflecting one such time in my life.

===============  
Oh Lord, You are truly my Savior. When I was so undeserving and so wrapped in evil thoughts about You, … nonetheless You pursue me and scooped me up when I was so down and broken, giving me all the loving forgiveness I needed and that which You offer freely to anyone who can see their need for a Savior. And when I sought Your love, You gave it so me so generously, … allowing me to become Your Friend and a son of God, … being able to live forever with You in the family God. Yes, as David sings, Lord, You are the Rock to which my life-line of faith is attached; and it will hold me to You forever. Praise be to Your Name for being my strength when I am weak, … my guide through the minefields of life, … and my word of truth when I am faltering in my flesh. Oh, stay with me, Lord; and shine Your light on my path; and I will follow You all the days of my life. And I pray this in Your mighty Name … that Name is Jesus. Amen
================

You know, in 2nd Samuel 23 today, David listed the men in his life who stood by him when he needed these fellow warriors and friends the most. We often refer to them as “David’s Mighty Men;” and they were some pretty heavy-duty dudes! … And I would hope that you could write about some mighty Christian warriors, mentors, or friends who either have stood for you in your past or now are standing with you in this life. But even if you don’t have an archive of your fellow Christian warriors, … people who’ve lifted you up and helped carry your through the pitfalls of life, … I hope you can write a prayer, as I have above, about how our Lord has been there for you as YOUR MIGHTIEST WARRIOR, … coming to your aid when you were weak, … lifting you up when your head was down, … and saving you from yourself when you were mired in self pity.

Yes, we all need to have some fellow “Mighty Warriors” in our life who stand with us when things get tough; but we must always remember that the One we need the most is ALWAYS THERE for us when we need Him. As we see in both the OT and NT (see Deut. 31: 6, 8 and Heb. 13: 5) our Lord is ALWAYS there for us as our mightiest of warriors, giving us the grace of His strength when we’re at our weakest. That’s the message that David was conveying in all of the writings I hope you joined me in reading today; but it’s also the uplifting message of the Apostle Paul in 2nd Cor. 12: 9, where he wrote - "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in your weakness.” 

These last words are the red-letter words of our Lord, quoted directly from Paul, giving us the assurance of what God will provide for us when we need His strength to cover our weakness.

My Prayer Today: … Oh, Lord, You have lifted me up so many times when I was weak; and I will always attach my line of faith to You as the Rock of Ages. Amen

No comments: