Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11, 2012 … Lessons from the Crucible of Life

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 65 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
 ============  
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 66 … To study these chapters, go to this link
============  
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 67 … To study these chapters, go to this link
 ============  
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 69 … To study these chapters, go to this link
 ============  
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 70 … To study these chapters, go to this link
 ============  

Highlight Passage #1 : Psalm 66: 10 For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver. ============  
Highlight Passage #2 : Psalm 69: 12-13 12 Those who sit at the gate mock me, and I am the song of the drunkards. 13 But I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation.  
============  
Highlight Passage #3 : Psalm 70: 1 and 4 1 Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, Lord, to help me. …4 But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, "The Lord is great!"  

My Journal for Today: If you are reading along with me here, I hope you’ll take the time to meditate a bit on the Psalms which are in today’s chronological reading plan and about which I will comment in my devotional entry for this morning. There are some strong lessons we can glean from these songs written by David and possibly other song writers in ancient Israel.

The first image which I always need to remember in my personal living is the word picture of life being like the fire which was applied to precious metals when the metal worker wanted to purify the silver or gold. The metal would be placed in a crucible; and under fire, the dross, or the impurities, would float to the top, allowing the metal-smith to take away the dross, leaving the pure, precious metal in a more serviceable state. Here this image is used by God in His word in Psalm 66 as David declares that his life has been tested in the fires of trials so that he, David, like the silver, would be a more pure servant of God. And that is what we need to see about the burning trials of life; … that these tough times are testing and purifying us in our service to our God. … But do we see our trials as David did?

The next application point can be made by Highlight Passage #2 above, Psalm 69: 13, where David, even though he felt oppressed by the world, even mocked by his subjects, chose to go to his God in prayer, remembering how loving and merciful was his God. And when we’re under pressures from the world or people in our world, is this our reflexive and proactive battle plan; i.e., to go to prayer. The Apostle Paul certainly felt that way when, in prison and under great oppression, even fearing death from the Romans, he wrote to his fellow Christians (in Philippians 4: 6 - NKJV) … Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God.But do we follow this lead from David and Paul when we’re oppressed and feeling anxious?

And then finally, from Highlight Passage #3 above, I hope we can also learn from David the powerful lesson of faith in being able to CHOOSE joy and praise even when we feel like we’re about to go under in life. In Psalm 70, David was pleading for God to save him from the trials of his life; … yet even in such circumstances, David writes in this song to the people, as I am remembering today, for us to rejoice and be glad in our relationship with God because God is always there for us and we must acknowledge our love for the Lord … yes, even when we feel we are drowning in the circumstances of life. … But do we really choose joy when life is so tough?

Well, there are three powerful lessons – at least for this humble Christian – on another morning when I always need to remember to praise God in all of life’s trials; because as the Lord says to me as well from a memorized truth from Romans 8: 28, that He works in all things for my good – yes, even the oppressive stuff – and from that, I need to choose to praise my Lord and find joy in His mercy and love for me.

 My Prayer Today: … Prayerfully I seek to find joy in life, Lord, knowing that You love me ALWAYS and You will ALWAYS purify me in the trials of life. Praise Your Holy Name, my Lord! Amen

No comments: